News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Latex and translation software

Started by Butch, March 21, 2002, 08:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

Some people talked about latex in this forum. Which distribution is the best for Windows 98?!?! Latex?!! MikTex?!?!

Anybody have some ideas about a good translation software?!? (french to english, english to french). I can keep it with small message but to translate a whole rpg, geez I'm not sure!

Thank you.

Butch

Matt Machell

To be honest I wouldn't use any translation software, especially on something as full of jargon as an RPG, the results would be dire at best.

But that's just my opinion.

Matt

Clay

Butch,

I've had the best luck with MikTeX. It has a very nice tool for keeping your distribution current and adding new packages.  The regular maintenance tools are kind of stinky; MikTeX's tool makes it a breeze. The MikTeX distribution also isn't plagued by some of the ideosyncracies that I've read about from other Windows/DOS distributions.

If you're looking to make your game into a PDF for distribution, one bonus of MikTeX is that it includes dvipdfm, which is a really excellent dvi to pdf converter.  The results seemed more professional to me than what I saw from pdflatex, and the support for it is good.  dvipdfm also has good support for inserting PDF specials in your document, when you want the PDF to do things beyond what plain LaTeX can do.  For example, PDF specials are a good way to make hyperlinks to images without having to put captions on them.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Butch

Thank you for your advice Clay!

I'm just downloading the monster (143MB!!!, geez!!! I have the time to go at the theater and watch Blade 2!). Yep, I want to make pdf files of the game.

For the translation, I think I will do it myself. I will need to find somebody to edit it a little bit!! (humm... a "big" bit!!)

Patrick

Philippe Tromeur

TeXshell (editor) and MikteX (latex translator) integrate perfectly, and they're both completely free.

Links to downloads : on my page http://pht.fr.st/freeware.htm (near the bottom)