News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Indies getting respect

Started by JSDiamond, March 28, 2002, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSDiamond

Regarding Ron's debriefing on this year's GAMA trade show, I believe that he is quite right about a positive change that may be going on in the minds of retailers (and distros too, perhaps) concerning games produced by smaller independent publishers.

Here's some wonderful proof: The latest ad for this year's Origins contains a very significant change in my opinion.  Instead of listing all the usual big game company info with a small mention of an 'indy area' at the con or some such listed at the bottom of the ad (if at all), after the header the ad copy LEADS OFF with this as the first line of text:

"Hundreds of independent role-play games"

Followed by the line underneath that reads:

"White Wolf, GURPs, and Other Company role-play rooms"

With four more lines after that.  Do you get it?  The 'big guys' are following us in ad copy!  WE are the FIRST reason to attend, according to that ad.  Think what you want, but that's a big deal.

Makes me feel good.

Jeff
JSDiamond

Ron Edwards

Hey Jeff,

I hadn't planned on attending Origins this year, but you know what - I'm beginning to change my mind. Tundra will be there, and I think I just might join up with them, pay Woody for a booth badge, and do lots of promo just like I did at GAMA ... maybe get a chance to run some quickie games too.

Best,
Ron

Jason L Blair

Origins is a pretty sweet convention. I wish I could exhibit this year, but I can't. I will be there with a Wizard's Attic badge though, so I'll be ready to rock the con.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Misguided Games

We'll be there.  You guys get some materials to me, and I'll make sure we get them set out.

No good deed goes unpunished! B^)