News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Booth: Price List

Started by TonyLB, August 02, 2005, 12:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timfire

Hi  Tony,

I think you got a couple prices mixed up. My Japanese Dice are $1.50, not $15. No retailor discount on the dice.

Also, set the retailor discount for tMW at $15, because I'm a greedy bastard and want that extra dollar.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Blankshield

Blank Shield Press

Death's Door: $12/$7 retailers
Brick Battles: $5, no retailers discount (this little sucker is damn near at cost as is).

thanks,

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Malcolm Craig

a|state MRB hardcover: $35 [a $5 discount over the regular RRP]
The Lostfinders Guide To Mire End: $10

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Emily Care

Hey Tony,

Breaking the Ice is $12 regular, $9 retailer. Thanks.

--Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Matt Wilson

Primetime Adventures will be $15 for GenCon only, because I like those round numbers, and because, shit, how much did you already spend just to be there?

For retailers, it'll be $9, with a $16.99 MSRP

Matt Snyder

Tim's got nuttin' on my greedy batardage.

Dust Devils:$12
Nine Worlds: $20

No retailer discounts. My experience is that my games DO NOT sell at retailers. They languish until the retailer discounts them heavily. That means we both lose out. No thanks.

It also means my chances of gathering any information about the customer, like email or address (as I do via my web site) are almost nothing, unless the customer likes it enough to email me or ask me a question.

Am I missing something? I don't see how getting, say, a half dozen (or even a dozen) copies of our games into stores is helpful at a discount. Anyone?
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Clinton R. Nixon

To concur with Matt, I am also not offering anything at a retailer discount. My reasons are similar.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Blankshield

My thinking in offering a retailer discount is basically "hell, anyone who wants to buy 5 copies of my game can get a chunk o' discount; I don't care if they get resold, framed in gold or burnt". 
Am I mistaken in assuming that a retailer would be buying multiple copies?  Cause yeah, I don't see any point in giving a discount to Joe who buys one game just because Joe happens to have a game store.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Blankshield on August 03, 2005, 02:49:55 PM
Am I mistaken in assuming that a retailer would be buying multiple copies?  Cause yeah, I don't see any point in giving a discount to Joe who buys one game just because Joe happens to have a game store.
Good call.

I'd prefer a minimum order amount for retailers to get the discount. Would everyone with retail pricing be willing to agree to that? It'd make the register ops a lot easier.

I was thinking minimum order of 3.

And on a related note, what stops people from walking up and saying, 'hey, I own a game store?"

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: Matt Wilson on August 04, 2005, 09:18:36 AMGood call.

I'd prefer a minimum order amount for retailers to get the discount. Would everyone with retail pricing be willing to agree to that? It'd make the register ops a lot easier.

I was thinking minimum order of 3.

And on a related note, what stops people from walking up and saying, 'hey, I own a game store?"

Agreed.  Put me down for the Wilson Plan (Like the Truman Plan only not about democracy).  Minimum order of three sounds like a wonderful idea.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

jrs

From someone who has manned the cash register at the Forge booth, I strongly encourage a standard policy across all publishers with regards to the quantity required to obtain a retailer's price.  It's one thing to keep track of which publishers have separate retailer's pricing, keeping track of different quantities will really slow things down.

Just a thought.

Julie

jrs

Another way to handle retailer pricing at the booth is to have it only applied at the discretion of the publisher.  The publisher would need to accompany the buyer to the cash register and make the request.  The only drawback is when a purchaser expects retailer's pricing and the publisher is not present in the booth.

Julie

Ben Lehman

This is me as a publisher / participant, weighing in about booth policy.

I'd be happy with either a set amount to get the discount or "only if I talk to him first."

I'd prefer the former, honestly.

Valamir

I've been following this thread with some interest.

Quite frankly the whole issue of retailer discounts I'm struggling with.  Last year, as I recall, we had 80 individual items priced in the booth.  I don't know how many we'll have this year, but if everything starts getting both retailer and non retailer pricing that's an awful long price list for cashiers to have to scan through.  It also opens up the whole can of worms of a cashier accidentally entering the wrong PLU and giving someone a retailer discount.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of retailers buying product at the booth getting any kind of discount for anything.  If I were a primary sponsor this year, that would be my recommendation.  IMO, if they want your product you can take their card, follow up with them after the show and make arrangements.  If you like you can offer them free shipping to make up for the fact that they don't have to pay shipping for purchases at the con (which is a big reason why many retailers do this).  Those of us who are using Key20 shouldn't offer a retail discount in any event...interested parties should be directed to the Key20 booth where they can pick up a variety of cool games.  Matt's right, selling a couple of copies to a retailer at half price is not nearly as good a deal as getting an actual relationship with those retailers and selling a couple of copies every couple of months to them.

If I were dicatator of the booth I'd rule "nothing gets sold at the booth at a retailer discount, period".

I'm not, but I am the "keeper of the cash register" so there will be some fashion of uniform policy regarding discounts and retailers blanket across the board.

At the bare minimum, if we allow discounts at all, that policy will include:
1) either a) Any one who claims to be a retailer will be given the retailer discount no questions asked.  or b) No one will be given a retailer discount with the publisher there giving their seal of approval on each and every discount.  In other words niether the cashiers nor any booth sponsors will take any responsibility what so ever for ascertaining the credentials of said retailers.  This policy will be the same for the booth as a whole.  Not by publisher.

2) There will be a set standard minimum order: 0, 1, 3, 5, whatever uniform for the whole booth, again not by publisher.

I'm still mulling over whether to allow individual games to price their own discounts and have seperate discounted pricing for those games programmed into the register.  By far, the simplest solution would be to make a uniform 50% discount policy for any publishers offering discounts.  That is easy to handle without any additional programming, just some additional training on how to use the % discount key on the register.

BTW:  Tony, when you have your list of companies and products complete, please forward to me so I can begin to see to the programming of the register.  We'll need a drop dead deadline for getting that pricing in, for anyone who hasn't provided it already.  I know last year I had to chase after a few folks to get the numbers in.

timfire

If I may suggest it, people should PM Ralph about their preferred method for handling retailor discounts. That way this thread won't turn into a "me too" thread.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert