News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2005] Monkey Feeding

Started by Ben Lehman, August 03, 2005, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

This is split from my Auxiliary Gaming Zone thread, which I managed to drive off topic by my own hand with a PS comment.

In short -- the GenCon day is 9-6, and it is incredibly hectic.  Food and drink and other important things often get neglected.  I'd like to try to rectify that in a simple and easy manner, by having an easily accessible location where Monkeys and Masters alike can get some basic refreshments.

Back in the other thread, Tony proposed the simple yet slightly dangerous solution of simply placing food and drink in the stockroom.  I think that this is a good idea (although I'm willing to hear others, or hear why I'm wrong), as long as we are absolutely certain that food is food and stock is stock and never the twain shall meet.

What I'm thinking here is a couple of coolers and paper bags with a cache of some basic foods and drinks.  I'm thinking some healthy food, not junk food, that will give long-term energy.  Furthermore, it should be totally non-messy and totally convenient.

Some ideas I have for stuff:
Bananas
Apples
Carrots
Celery
Breakfast Bars
Beef Jerky
Bottled Water
Bottled Juice

I'm willing to hear other ideas, as well.  Nothing gooey, nothing spready, nothing with more than one part.

Getting something like this to work is going to require:

1) Will.  I'm willing to take point in organizing, but I'll need support.  Further, of course, it needs to be cool with all publishers to have these foods near their stock.  If even one is uncomfortable, that's it.

2) Money. Food is not free.  I'm willing to front some costs, but I need to get that money back.

3) A car.  If this is successful, I imagine we'll want to make a couple of evening or early-morning "refill runs" to local supermarkets.  I'm willing to go along with these, but I have no car.

What do people think?  Good?  Bad?  Why?

yrs--
--Ben

TonyLB

Sounds good to me.

There is a CostCo exactly 11 miles up Michigan Road from the convention center.  I can't be the only person in this crowd who has a CostCo card.  Getting (say) bananas, apples, bottled water and juice in ludicrous, mind-boggling quantities is really where that particular chain shines.  I'd recommend it for the purpose.  The hours stink, however: 10a.m. - 8:30 p.m. pretty much does in any notion of early-morning runs by anyone who is manning the booth.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

LordSmerf

If you guys need it, I'll have a rental car.  It should be noted for planning purposes that I won't be arriving until Thursday around noon, so if you want to pre-stock I won't be able to help.  And there's got to be an open-24-hours supermarket somewhere in Indianapolis...

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

btrc

I normally just pack a cooler with the day's munchies and drinks. I cannot stress enough the need for decent nutrition. You're going to be on your feet all day, not getting enough sleep, and coming off (probably) a long drive to get to Indy. So in addition to sugar and caffiene, make sure you get some protein during the day. Energy bars will work, but I also am fond of canned tuna (in water, not oil). Low in calories, high in protein, all that good stuff. The packs in foil (instead of cans) have very little fluid and are not messy at all, but are somewhat more expensive.

Other items worth mentioning (for better or worse):
Raisins (serving size is up to you)
V-8 (good mix of sodium and potassium, low in calories)
Breath mints
Drinkable yogurts (pricey)
Fruit cups (ones with jello are less messy)

Things to watch out for:
Easily bruised fruits (sorry 'bout your banana)
Crackers and cookies (crumbs are hard to keep contained)
Greasy stuff (leaves fingerprints on books)

Anyone else want to chime in?

Greg Porter

P.S. If anyone can get it, I'll pay you for a 6-pack of 20oz bottles of Jolt. It is impossible to get in this part of the country, and by the end of the show I'll be mainlining the stuff (with tuna and V-8...;)

TonyLB

Cough drops, in bulk.  Oh for the restorative powers of throat analgesics.  When my vocal cords are ready to tense themselves into a knot, it's only cough drops that keep me talking.

Which, yeah, not necessarily an advantage for those around me.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Blankshield

Quote from: btrc on August 03, 2005, 07:26:24 PM
Things to watch out for:
Easily bruised fruits (sorry 'bout your banana)
Crackers and cookies (crumbs are hard to keep contained)
Greasy stuff (leaves fingerprints on books)

Anyone else want to chime in?

Not directly affected by this, but it's a sensitive topic for several of my friends (including my wife):

Allergies.

Canned tuna is awesome right up to the point where someone leaves an empty can in the room garbage and 15 minutes later someone can't breathe.

Seafood and nuts are the big hazards here; other food allergies tend to be rarer and/or less sensitive.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Ron Edwards

Hello,

All rules, conduct, variety, and finances regarding booth foodstuffs are now under the authority of BEN LEHMAN. If you have a booth exhibitor badge, contact him through PM if you want to make suggestions or clarify any details.

Ben, as a fellow native northern Californian, I heartily support your (and Greg's) specification of non-geek nutrition.

Best,
Ron

Andrew Cooper

I'm not a Booth Monkey or anything but I will have my own personal vehicle at the Convention and I will be spending a lot of time at the Forge booth.  In fact, the Forge is pretty much why I'm going to GenCon.  I'm perfectly willing to make a daily or twice daily run to the CostCo for folks.  Let me know if you need this service from me.

daMoose_Neo

At the very least I can offer up a W alMart discount :D That can help with coughdrops, drinks (sports drinks, pops, waters etc). Course, it's 10%, so depends on the deals elsewhere. Could easily be cheaper elsewhere.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Ron Edwards

People must not be reading.

Contact Ben directly regarding any and all of this helpful stuff.

Thanks,
Ron

Ben Lehman

Here are my big questions right now:

Answer them!

1) Are the publishers willing to have food in the stock room, provided it is kept seperate from merchandise?

2) Are people interested in using the room during the Con?  Just a general sense of how many people might be eating out of this place.

3) Who can contribute money and how much?  Publishers, I'm looking at you.

4) Who is willing to do volunteer work in terms of stocking the room -- purchasing runs, car driving, etc?

5) Are you comfortable buying at WalMart or not?

6) Any recommended / favorite food items.

7) If you work at the booth and have life-threatening allergies, LET ME KNOW NOW.

yrs--
--Ben

Paul Czege

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ben Lehman

That would be the room that we're going to be keeping boxes of merchandise in, and making runs back and forth during the day.

yrs--
--Ben

btrc

Speaking for BTRC:

Quote1) Are the publishers willing to have food in the stock room, provided it is kept seperate from merchandise?

No problems.

Quote2) Are people interested in using the room during the Con?  Just a general sense of how many people might be eating out of this place.

Since I bring breakfast, snacks and some dinner supplies, I'll be bringing most of my own food and storing it in my own room.

Quote3) Who can contribute money and how much?  Publishers, I'm looking at you.

I can contribute for stuff I end up noshing on, and if we do stuff like the "bowl o'candy" I see at some booths. I can make a general contribution to the care and feeding of booth monkeys, lest they become angry and start hurling crap at me.

Quote4) Who is willing to do volunteer work in terms of stocking the room -- purchasing runs, car driving, etc?

I can accompany someone if they need an extra hand, but would rather not negotiate an unfamiliar car through an unfamiliar city.

Quote5) Are you comfortable buying at WalMart or not?

No problems.

Quote6) Any recommended / favorite food items.

The aforementioned Jolt cola.

Quote7) If you work at the booth and have life-threatening allergies, LET ME KNOW NOW.

None.

Greg Porter
BTRC

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Ben Lehman on August 03, 2005, 10:53:38 PM
Here are my big questions right now:

Answer them!

Ben: I have no problems with folks storing food near my books, even if it's food I hate. Go for it.

But I'd prefer to manage my own food/water needs. I did just fine last year.