News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Paladin] Detecting Animus question

Started by Christoph Boeckle, August 09, 2005, 09:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoph Boeckle

Hello,

Thanks for such a great game!

I'm on the brink of starting a mini Paladin campaign using the Warhammer 40k universe (Actual Play should follow).

In Detecting Animus, nothing is said about what attributes are used for rolling on the table. I was about to say that Social Light Animus should be used, but I'm not sure.

Not very important anyway, I haven't yet decided wheter I will use this rule or not. It looks as if it makes finding the Heretics way too easy.

Regards,
Christoph

Clinton R. Nixon

You're right! Weird. Usually I do roll Social. (You never directly roll an Animus score.) Depending on the circumstance, though, I might roll Active.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoph Boeckle

Thanks for the quick reply!

Could you say two words about the effects of the rules in game please?
I'm worried the players will just go: "Hey, I'm not sure what to do about this guy, let's see if he's Light or Dark!" "Dark" *kills the guy, without any remorse*
Regards,
Christoph

Clinton R. Nixon

Sure. Remember, first of all, that you can only detect true Paladins or Dark Paladins, and not just everyday dudes. (You can also detect uses of Animus, but that indicates either a Paladin, a Dark Paladin, or you know, eeevil.)

When I've played, I have no problem with letting people detect this stuff. In fact, I play it like this: if they roll, they know something's up. They just might not know where. Part of the point of the game is to force characters into this situation where they know that they're supposed to deal with so-and-so, but they don't want to. Make it obvious that, say, their brother is using Dark Animus. It will all work out, I promise.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoph Boeckle

Okay, thanks a million!

I guess I'm still quite bogged in my zilch/sim reflexes.
Regards,
Christoph

Christoph Boeckle

I've got some more questions (you once mentionned there would be a FAQ: is there?)

Since total Animus cannot exceed 20, could a character receiving Light Animus in excess of this amount use it immediately to purge Dark Animus, instead of loosing it?

In the multiple participants in an action example there is something I don't understand. Paul's dice pool is the lowest (Flesh 2, Arms 1, Sword 2, Animus 1).
As the text says it, I understand that the group dice pool is thus of 5 (everything except animus). Then, the three characters each spend one Animus, increasing the pool to 8.
The example though says it's 6 as a base and +3 because of each of their Arms bonuses.
The second group in the example seems to run like what I understand from the text.

Light Animus is only rewarded if the conflict was resolved without the use of Dark Animus. How should that work in group-resolved conflicts, where one character does use Dark Animus? Is that character the only one penalized, or does he bring down his team with him?

Last one: to remove a Mark, one must make up for having broken the associated Law. But since one must break a Law multiple times before gaining a Mark, does that mean that the character has to seek forgiveness for each "check" before he can erase them all? Or is it juste one symbolic act?
Also, I don't see any way in which the Level of the Mark is taken into account: surely a Level 1 Mark is not as bad as one of Level 5. Is the only incentive the "fill it all back up" when you break the Law again, inciting players to go on quests of contrition as soon as possible and often, so that they never get to Level 5?
Regards,
Christoph

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Artanis on August 11, 2005, 01:54:31 PM
I've got some more questions (you once mentionned there would be a FAQ: is there?)

Since total Animus cannot exceed 20, could a character receiving Light Animus in excess of this amount use it immediately to purge Dark Animus, instead of loosing it?

I guess so. Seems fine by me.

In the multiple participants in an action example there is something I don't understand. Paul's dice pool is the lowest (Flesh 2, Arms 1, Sword 2, Animus 1).
As the text says it, I understand that the group dice pool is thus of 5 (everything except animus). Then, the three characters each spend one Animus, increasing the pool to 8.
The example though says it's 6 as a base and +3 because of each of their Arms bonuses.
The second group in the example seems to run like what I understand from the text.

Geez, I must have been not thinking there. The numbers are right - it's just +3 because of three bonus dice.

Light Animus is only rewarded if the conflict was resolved without the use of Dark Animus. How should that work in group-resolved conflicts, where one character does use Dark Animus? Is that character the only one penalized, or does he bring down his team with him?

You totally bring down the team with you.

Last one: to remove a Mark, one must make up for having broken the associated Law. But since one must break a Law multiple times before gaining a Mark, does that mean that the character has to seek forgiveness for each "check" before he can erase them all? Or is it juste one symbolic act?
Also, I don't see any way in which the Level of the Mark is taken into account: surely a Level 1 Mark is not as bad as one of Level 5. Is the only incentive the "fill it all back up" when you break the Law again, inciting players to go on quests of contrition as soon as possible and often, so that they never get to Level 5?

Well, with a level 5 mark, it's a lot harder to gain Dark Animus. Remember that you have to roll and beat the level of your mark when trying to gain DA from that stricture. Otherwise, mechanically, it's the same, although if you note, physically, the higher mark is that much more deformity.

As for making up for breaking the Law, your point is well taken, and I have to admit I don't have a clear answer for it. I'm certain it'd be clear in play, but I should re-examine that and make it more clear in the text.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoph Boeckle

QuoteGeez, I must have been not thinking there. The numbers are right - it's just +3 because of three bonus dice.
Hum, how does he get to 6 with his pool? He has Flesh 2, Arms 1 and Sword 2, that's 5.
Does the Animus point count twice?

Thanks for the answers so far!

BTW, any news about the second edition of Paladin?
Regards,
Christoph

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Artanis on August 11, 2005, 06:02:41 PM
QuoteGeez, I must have been not thinking there. The numbers are right - it's just +3 because of three bonus dice.
Hum, how does he get to 6 with his pool? He has Flesh 2, Arms 1 and Sword 2, that's 5.
Does the Animus point count twice?

Thanks for the answers so far!

BTW, any news about the second edition of Paladin?

Again, was I high? You're, of course, right.

Verily I say unto you, I'll try to make Paladin 2e this year.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoph Boeckle

Okay, I think I'm ready to roll! Tomorrow evening we do char gen.
Any point you'd especially like feedback for?

I'm eager to see the new edition!
Regards,
Christoph

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Artanis on August 11, 2005, 09:20:20 PM
Okay, I think I'm ready to roll! Tomorrow evening we do char gen.
Any point you'd especially like feedback for?

I'd really love to see the Code you come up with - or are you using the default setting?

It'll be super-interesting to see your players' reaction when they realize their characters have to make really hard decisions about whether to be righteous or be caring. It's the hardest thing in the game.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Christoph Boeckle

Alright, I should be posting the campaign setup and character presentation shortly in Actual Play.

I've used the Warhammer 40'000 universe, so there are a few changes. The code has 9 laws. I wrote a little rule for firearms. More about that later.

We won't get to play immediately, but what you call the hardest thing in the game is precisely why I'm mastering Paladin. I'm not used to it though so we'll see.
Regards,
Christoph

Christoph Boeckle

Regards,
Christoph