News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Thread Splitting Etiquette

Started by greyorm, August 10, 2005, 11:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyorm

Quote from: Ron Edwards on August 09, 2005, 01:17:16 PMDO NOT post to older threads. I'm very unhappy with all of you more experienced posters who compounded a newcomer's understandable confusion about that.

Fuckin' wasting my time, is what it is.

First off both apologies to Ron (though like you care, right? "Fuck that, just don't do it again! Sheesh!") for not splitting out into a seperate thread, and thanks to him for splitting the thread.

Here's what happened, at least with me. I figured, and Mike figured (at least presuming from his statements in the thread), that a moderator would come along and split out the new discussion, and no harm done. Obviously, that was a bad call to make.

Not because the assumption was wrong, but basing our actions on knowing the moderators would do that, because we also know the mods have better things to do than split discussions we can split ourselves. We were just too lazy to do it, instead thinking "Yeah, a moderator will do it" because, well, that's what happens.

I suggest those of us guilty or potentially guilty of making this same lazy mistake make a concerted effort to remember that just because the moderators WILL that does not mean that the moderators SHOULD HAVE TO. So, yes, guilty of wasting Ron's time as charged.

So, consider this a sort-of public service announcement to make clear the proper etiquette of responding to a response posted in an older thread. Don't compound the mistake: split it out yourself.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Balbinus

Hi,

Where did you find that quote?  I was looking for guidelines on this issue and couldn't find them.  I resurrected a thread from page 4 and was not sure if that was ok, I tried reporting my post in case I was in error but that isn't allowed.

Am I missing an etiquette faq somewhere?  A page 4 thread on rpg.net just means nobody has posted to it for a day, that logic can't be extrapolated here though and not having posted here for ages I am genuinely concerned that I may inadvertently be breaching forum conduct.
AKA max

Simon Marks

First up, click the bit that says "Quote from:..." and it'll link you to where the quote is from. (I really like this)

Next, on this forum here,

Section III on posting includes
Quote from: Clinton R NixonF. Thread "resurrection"
If you find an older thread (not on the first page of the forum) that you wish to discuss, we ask that you create a new thread and link to the old one instead of "resurrecting" the thread. This helps everyone in terms of researching threads, and seeing where a discussion started and stopped.

Sorry...
"It is a small mind that sees all life has to offer"

I have a Blog now.

Adam Dray

Perhaps Clinton can add an Forum Etiquette link at the very top of the page (up by Articles, etc.) so that it's visible everywhere. It can just link back to the same posts as always.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

Balbinus

I found it by accident oddly enough, and received some very friendly PMs helping out.

Thanks all.
AKA max