News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon] People Selling Games, A Heads Up

Started by Andy Kitkowski, August 15, 2005, 04:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

I was preparing some adventures for demos, but realized that most of the stuff I'm going to run is going to be of the top of my head anyway. I just needed character sheets for all the games I was planning on running.

I was about to print out a bunch myself, but I was hoping that the folks selling stuff out there could pick up that slack.  It would help, if you're planning on selling a game, to bring at least 40-100 character sheets or more. Think 3 poeple per demo, 10+ demos, plus extra for the after-con games and the like.

Last year, a lot of the sit-down demo time was wasted by having the players copy the stat/skill/blank names from the character sheet in the book onto loose leaf before we began the actual playing. That's a few minutes of boredom that we need to turn into faster play.

So please, for the demo-ers, and for yourself, bring blank character sheets.  Lots of them. For great justice.

That is all.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

TonyLB

Or laminate just a few, and bring china markers to write and tissue to clean.

But then, of course, people can't take the character sheets as souvenirs.  So there's pros and cons.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Adam Dray

Character sheets are advertisement. Gamers take them home with them. Even if they ran out of money and couldn't buy your produce, they'll remember your demo and have the reminder of the sheet in their bag when they get home. When the next pay check comes, they might buy your game.

Make sure you put a web address on the sheet, somewhere bold and conspicuous, for them to get more info and buy your game!  It's an ad, not just a play aid.
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

daMoose_Neo

I already intended on bringing a good deal of pre-gens.
Imp creation can be a hilarious process, but it is time consuming. A pre-gen with a couple blanks that can be filled in though should set anyone running Mischief & Mayhem up just fine.
For folks who have some really cool chargen bits you want to show off, that'd be the better way to do it,  structure the sheets so that the players get to do the cool thing and then leap into play.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Larry L.

Quote from: Adam Dray on August 15, 2005, 08:55:13 AMEven if they ran out of money and couldn't buy your produce,
This is a delightful typo. I envision customers thumping on game books to see if they're ripe, checking for bruises and blemishes. Paying for games by the pound, wrapping their games in tied-off celophane bags.

Brightened my morning!

Back to your sales discussion, then.

Adam Dray

Oops! The thumping image is pretty damned funny. Anyway, back on topic. ;)
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777

Andy Kitkowski

I'm not kidding folks- I know there's that KINKOs near the con- Make sure you have enough for booth games, Forger side-games, and after hour games, or be ready to make a KINKOs run.  There are very few games where "Let's draw up a character sheet on notepad paper" can work without interrupting play, but it still looks sloppy as hell. Help us help you sell your game.

I'm outta here, see y'all tomorrow.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.