News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Non-standard Scene Settings

Started by Judaicdiablo, August 24, 2005, 05:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judaicdiablo

I am curious what peoples experiences have been with unusual scene settings and I am also looking for some suggestions on ones that I haven't thought of.

Examples of the Non-Standard Scene Setting would be:

• Flashback
  • Dream Sequence

• With a protagonist waking up in a sweat (maybe a protagonist dies in the dream or has sex with someone they shouldn't)
    • A daydream (the protagonist is jarred "awake" as someone asks him a question)
    • A Hallucination from being drugged
  • Flash Sideways (focus on the villian watching the Protagonists doing something)

What experiences have people had with these common TV show conventions in their PTA game?
What conventions am I missing?

-----
Brandon

hix

Two other conventions I can think of:

1. Speaking directly to camera.

2. The Montage sequence:
a) about a specific thing (eg. falling in love)
b) a rapid flashforward of events in someone's life (recent examples would be the end of 3rd Watch and Six Feet Under).
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

John Harper

In our Bridgewater series, we had a really excellent extended Flashback (during the character's spotlight episode). We also had several "Flash Sideways" where we saw someone watching the PCs through night-vision goggles. Both of these worked well.

Flash Forward could be a fun one, which you usually do during the "next week on" bit, but could be fun to try out during the game, too. I'd also like to try a Narration scene, where the character expresses herself in voice-over, while the action plays out on screen. You could do it noir-detective style, or Wonder Years style, or Scully on X-Files style. Could be cool.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!