News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Other Projects?

Started by Mike Holmes, August 25, 2005, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emily Care

Hi Brand,

Great! I'll be curious to hear how that goes.  I apparently I left out part of the resolution process, so I'll be sure to take a look at it in the next couple of days & post some revisions here.

Are the folks who will play classical Japan buffs?

best,
Em

Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Emily Care

Hi Brand,

Great! I'll be curious to hear how that goes.  I apparently I left out part of the resolution process, so I'll be sure to take a look at it in the next couple of days & post some revisions here.

Are the folks who will play classical Japan buffs?

best,
Em

Black & Green Games

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Emily Care on August 29, 2005, 09:40:10 AMAre the folks who will play classical Japan buffs?

To varrying degrees, yes. One of them is working on a degree in East Asian stuides, and another one is a big geisha fan (though I have been told that it isn't a geisha game, as the geisha proper didn't appear until a later period), and the third I only know from parties.

The one getting the degree in the field is a little hesitant to talk about the game here because she's worried about telling you that things are historically wrong when she knows that isn't the point neccisarily, but if I can't get her to post, I'll at least pass things along.

P.S. I talked about this in my livejournal.
- Brand Robins

Emily Care

Quote from: Brand_Robins on August 29, 2005, 11:43:19 AM
Quote from: Emily Care on August 29, 2005, 09:40:10 AMAre the folks who will play classical Japan buffs?

To varrying degrees, yes. One of them is working on a degree in East Asian stuides, and another one is a big geisha fan (though I have been told that it isn't a geisha game, as the geisha proper didn't appear until a later period), and the third I only know from parties.
Yay!  Not geishas!  Yes, indeed.  That would be a very different period, one I'm much less familiar with, and one which would have very different issues, I believe.

QuoteThe one getting the degree in the field is a little hesitant to talk about the game here because she's worried about telling you that things are historically wrong when she knows that isn't the point neccisarily, but if I can't get her to post, I'll at least pass things along.
I'm sure that there are many inconsistencies.  I tried to minimize the ones that I introduced knowingly: ie dance & calligraphy as arts, the form of the drinking party games--those I didn't research, just made up ones whole cloth inspired by the practice that seemed doable for modern gamers, and, of course, the very idea about seeking to create a masterwork, or to perfect your craft.  Though there was much competition amongst the literati for social acclaim over a turn of a phrase or a collected work, I don't know that the women who were doing these things were doing it in the "artiste" mindset that is evoked by the game. The influence of women at court is something I need more info on as well. I'd be very interested to hear your friend's perspective, and would hope she would understand where I veer away from reality for the needs of the game.  But, as I said, I'd like it to be based on informed choices if possible.

Now to go check out your blog. Cool!

best,
Em

Black & Green Games