News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

2005 Bennie Awards

Started by Ben Lehman, August 31, 2005, 05:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Ron totally scooped me.  Here's the announcement.

I need more nominations.  I've only gotten one set.

Hey folks.

I've decided to give out the "Ben Lehman Awards for Actual Play," which will have the official nickname of "The Bennies."

As stated, the awards will be given for Actual Play -- both for Actual Play of games and for Actual Play write-ups.

The awards will be for:

Best Single Session Play
Best Multi-Session Play
Best Play Scenario (repeated over several seperate instances)

Best Play Write-Up
Best Write-Up of Problematic Play

Lifetime Achievement Award

The first three categories are awards given to the play itself, the central two are awards given to the play write-ups, the last is given to a particular player who has distinguished themselves through a lifetime of good play.

Judging will be based on publically available Actual Play reports, from RPGnet, the Forge, web logs, or other sources. If I played in or observed the game, I may also draw on personal experience to make my judgement.

Eligible games are those played from January 1st, 2004 to the present day. There will be a month-long nomination period, starting now. Please e-mail all nominations to playawards@gmail.com by September 27th.

Nominated write-ups should be in English (preferred) or Mandarin Chinese. If the play was in a different language, a translation will be required for judging. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Questions:

What are the judging criteria?

For the first three categories, if the play is excellent.

For the second two, if the play write-up is excellent.

For the last, if the player participates and creates excellent play.

"Excellence" is pretty much at my own discretion.

Are translations acceptable?

As said in the announcement, yes, as long as they are posted before the deadline.

Are plays in which you, Ben, participated invalid for entry?

Nope!  And furthermore my own experience at the play will be taken into account.

Doesn't that unfairly bias the awards towards your own play?

Maybe you should have invited me.

Eero Tuovinen

Still questioning: can I nominate my own actual play, with an actual play report written for the purpose? Because otherwise I have no chance in hell of winning.

... what? Yeah, I might be a little competitive. Put up any kind of awards, and I'm already scheming how to win it.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on August 31, 2005, 07:13:54 AM
Still questioning: can I nominate my own actual play, with an actual play report written for the purpose? Because otherwise I have no chance in hell of winning.

Self nomination is totally encouraged.

So are write-ups for the awards (if this gets your ass in gear about AP writeups, all the better).

But the write-up must be posted publically.

yrs--
--Ben

GB Steve

When you talk about "excellence" are you talking about the play as reported, or the reporting itself?

What I'm getting at is that many people round here think that the pure reporting of the SIS is rather a dull and pointless exercise (and I'm not saying they're wrong, or right!) so are you expecting Actual Plays to consist mainly of reports on the players rather than the characters?

I mean, the Gazebo is a scream but possibly not what you're after.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: GB Steve on August 31, 2005, 08:57:38 AM
When you talk about "excellence" are you talking about the play as reported, or the reporting itself?

What I'm getting at is that many people round here think that the pure reporting of the SIS is rather a dull and pointless exercise (and I'm not saying they're wrong, or right!) so are you expecting Actual Plays to consist mainly of reports on the players rather than the characters?

I mean, the Gazebo is a scream but possibly not what you're after.

To reiterate:

The first three awards are for the play itself, best as I can judge based on writings and personal experience (if any)

The second two awards are for the play write-up.

The last is for a particular player.

I'm not laying out any more criterion than "excellence," because I don't want to bicker about it after the awards.  Here are, maybe, some non-binding thoughts:

An excellent play:
1) Is extremely rewarding for all participants
2) Is creatively interesting to me
3) Possibly reveals something interestingly personal about the participants, or about role-playing.

An excellent play write-up:
1) Clearly explicates what went on in play, yes, including interactions between players.
2) Examines it.
3) Is lucidly and intelligently written.
4) Is stylstically written.

An excellent player:
1) Brings excellence to most / all of the games that they participate in.

But, remember, that's just what's on my mind right now.  I reserve the right to, you know, whatever.

yrs--
--Ben

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

I want to establish that the Bennies chronologically precede the Ronnies, and the later were definitely inspired by the former in terms of name. We must have all have had "contest" on the brain in the last couple of months.

Anyway, this is a fantastic contest idea.

What does winning a Benny entail? Bubble-baths with well-rounded and enthusiastic women? That's my hope.

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards

I moved this thread from Connections to Actual Play.

Yes, I know it does not address Actual Play. I am bending the rules, or violating them.

Why? You dare question the judgment of Doctor Chaos? Fool! Mere, ordinary man! Taste radioactive death!!

Oh, that feels good.

Best,
Ron

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Ron Edwards on August 31, 2005, 09:47:40 AM
What does winning a Benny entail? Bubble-baths with well-rounded and enthusiastic women? That's my hope.

I hope so, too!  I'll take it up with the prize committee.

yrs--
--Ben

Sean

In the interest of gender equality, I hereby volunteer my bubble-bath services for female winners. (Unless they prefer women, of course.)

I also nominate Judd for the first lifetime achievement award. I wouldn't do it publicly if I didn't think he was such a completely obvious no-brainer of a choice. Which isn't to discourage anyone from nominating others as well, of course.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Sean on August 31, 2005, 11:32:11 AM
In the interest of gender equality, I hereby volunteer my bubble-bath services for female winners. (Unless they prefer women, of course.)

I also nominate Judd for the first lifetime achievement award. I wouldn't do it publicly if I didn't think he was such a completely obvious no-brainer of a choice. Which isn't to discourage anyone from nominating others as well, of course.

Any and all nominations must be made be e-mail.  Period, end of story.

yrs--
--Ben

Ben Lehman

To clarify:

You may nominate any number of plays, write-ups, or people for whichever of the awards you so choose.  No need for you guys to limit yourself to one per box -- selection that's my job!

I'd like to cast as wide a net as possible, but I think that reading every AP thread on the Forge and RPGnet for the last year and more is a little beyond me.  (Not to mention the blogs and websites!)  So please, nominate freely!

yrs--
--Ben