News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What I am enjoying in DitV

Started by two_fishes, August 20, 2005, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two_fishes

There's some things I've realized, in thinking about my character sheet. A lot of the fallout I've had to take, I've turned into d4 attributes. In one instance from the character creation phase  I took d4 Scarred Hands, from a snake-handling ritual. I've increased it in a subsequent fallout, rescuing
Faithful from an avalance at Fort Lemon--blackened from frostbite. I've used them once in a cool Raise. It's an attribute I like a lot. It's cool. And if I keep using fallout to put dice into them, they'll get better and more effective when I bring them into conflict.

But right now, they're troublesome to bring in. They only give me a couple of d4s, so they're not too much help, and increase the odds of taking fallout. Of course, the flip side of this is that I  can use the fallout to increase the stat. Up until I increase its die size with reflection or experience
fallout, anyway.

It's a great self-feeding system, that rewards you for trying to use your apparent weaknesses, and slowly turns them into strengths. In addition, the method of getting experience fallout rewards taking fallout from just talking over any kind of combat. Cool.

Trick is, when I created the character, I had the idea of a kick-ass gunfighter type like Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower, with a great all-purpose combat stat (War Veteran 4d6) and, need I mention it, the BFG. And boy are those tempting to use. But they've also brought me to 2 near death experiences. One of these days I'm gonna roll a couple of 10's and that'll be the end of the story, unless I change my ways, focus on non-violent solutions, and maybe have to give a little as a result.

two_fishes

Oh by the way, hi! My first post to the Forge :-D

ScottM

Welcome to the Forge.

I love your last paragraph about the temptation and near death experiences. Sounds like you're having a good time.

--Scott
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

epweissengruber

I was running the DitV sessions where Mark plays.

He keeps me from making goofy mistakes with the resolution system -- even when my gaffes would go in his favour.

His character, Samson, gets right into the heart of conflicts, and ends up taking a fair bit of fallout.
I have to be a little more creative in my assignment of fallout.  There are inevitable physical consequences to the violent situations I seem to create -- but some of the fall-out results could be interpreted as emotional or moral consequences, rather than just bullet wounds.

In other words, we have to make sure that Samson gets more than just physical scars.

lumpley

Thanks, Mark! It's Mark, right?

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

-Vincent

Joshua A.C. Newman

Ah, fallout. "The King Of Life Hates Me" is my favorite trait of all time. At last check, it was something like 12d4.

It sounds like you've got good stuff on that character sheet. I love putting dice into "I ain't never shot at a man I ain't killed" just so I have to take social fallout - knowing all the while that the big guns - literally and figuratively - and quaking in the holsters. All that social fallout means that I get dice to win arguments with, all the while gaining more fallout, and when we slap leather, the brains are gonna fly.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Frank T

This seems like the right place to say some things I've been wanting to say about Dogs for a while:

I was only 13 when I saw the mountains and wastelands of Utah, but my heart still cries with joy for their beauty, every single time I read those passages in the book.

I love how the whole book is Vincent talking to me about roleplaying.

I am a lawyer and took law philosophy classes at university, and I have never seen a more elegant way to make people think real hard about justice.

Thanks, Vincent. I really hope I'll get to play some more Dogs soon.

- Frank