News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Peter Adkison now owns GenCon

Started by Gordon C. Landis, March 22, 2002, 03:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon C. Landis

Per http://www.wizards.com/news/pressrelease.asp?20020321a, WotC is out of the convention-running business, and Mr. Adkison is "set to take over the hosting and managing of the GenCon Game Fair in 2002", although WotC will still "provide full events management support" this year.

Since I'm approaching 90% certainity that I'll make it to GenCon this year . . . what's the likely impact of this?  Positive (less WotC focus)?  Negative (less professionally run)?  My instinct says it probably means NOTHING for this year . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Mike Holmes

Well, I think that Mr. Adkison will have at heart all that is best for the Con. And he may still have some money to back it too, I don't know. But let's hope he has some good staff behind him actually running the event. Not that WotC or Andon has ever been perfect, but I can imagine certain nightmare situations evolving.

I guess the big questions are what changes are planned if any for this year, and (for myself, the hugely important question) will GenCon be remaining in Milwaukee?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Matt Gwinn

GENCON is moving to indianapolis next year anyway.  or did you mean this year Mike?

The big question is, "how will this effect the indie scene?"  With big brother WOTC out of the way I can see things opening up a  little for us little guys.

Maybe an Indie Row next year could actually happen.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Jason L Blair

Mike,

I wouldn't count on GenCon staying in Milwaukee since it's set to move next year. If the move had been years away, possibly, but my gut says GenCon is still moving. I guess we'll see.

I do like Milwaukee, though.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Mike Holmes

First, yes, I meant next year.

Second, there have been some rumors about GenCon possibly staying, which I am clinging to with irrational hope. Still, Milwaukee has added a lot of hotel space, and those problems (which were the major issues) are not as bad as they once were. So maybe the hope is not as irrational a it might look on first glance.

OTOH, I completely understand the impetus to move to the huge site at Indianapolis.

Hmm.. perhaps I should talk to my secret sources again....

Mike

Armin D. Sykes

In comments Peter Adkison gave to Pyramid, he stated that GenCon outgrew Milwaukee four years ago, and that it was definitely moving to Indianapolis on schedule. Just FYI.

Armin

Mike Holmes

Yeah. I did mention it ws an irrational hope, didn't I. Ah, well. As it happens I have a good friend who lives in Indianapolis. And it's not all that far. Still, it was very convenient being right down the street.  :-(

Mike