News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

CoS Questions

Started by U_C, August 31, 2005, 01:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

U_C

Hi Keith,

First of all, I love the new booklet however I've a few questions about the system, mostly because I learn via examples rather than anything else.

• Do you have any examples of combat posted somewhere, both physical and mental?
  • There's a reference to two tables in the Witchblood Horror, but only one table, looking at the first edition I presume that this is a left over typo? How does Horror work?

I suspect I'll have more questions as I try and devise a one off sample to drum up interest in friends.

Cheers
Steve

Keith Senkowski

Steve,

Glad ya dig the Revision.  I don't have any listed examples of combat posted right now.  However, mental and physical conflicts overlap and are not exclusive of each other.  Let me see if I can summarize a typical Simple Conflict.

To set the stage let's say we have two character's about to enter an argument.
GM: Okay guy's what is your intent in this argument?
Matt: I want him to not lie to me.
Andy: I want to convince him that he should go to his brother for the answers he seeks.
GM: Andy that's good, but Matt that really doesn't cut it.  We want an end result, not action.
Matt: Okay.  How about I want him to tell me the truth about his involvment in Ivana's death.
GM: Good.  Let's see now.  Matt I think you should use Temperament and Knowledge to try and convince him to tell the truth.  Also add a die for your I remember everything Descriptor.
Matt: Can I get one for I have a glowing personality too?
GM: Yeah I think that make sense.  Andy.  I think you should roll Temperament and Decorum since he should be going to his brother for the answers, not you.
Andy: Cool.  I don't got any Descriptors, but I am going to grab a Trust die from the pool.
GM: Cool.  Roll'em guys.
Matt: 22
Andy: 20.  Crap.
GM: You want to Extend this Andy?
Andy: Nah.
GM: Alright, how do you tell him the truth?

With an Extened Conflict, Andy would take the damage from this initial hit and then they would roll for Initiative Order and proceed from there.

The reference is a left over from the earlier edition.  It works pretty simply though.  If you fail the to win the conflict, you can either roll or choose from the table for your response.  The effect lasts till the end of the Conflict.  So if say you and your comrads were fighting a sorcerer and you chose number 9 (Uncontrollable Tremors), it would last til the end of the battle.  The one thing I failed to add in the Horror description is that the negative side effects from it give you a penalty die for the duration of the Conflict.

Hope this answers your questions.  If you got more don't hesitate to ask.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Roger Eberhart

Quote from: Bob Goat on August 31, 2005, 02:04:41 PM
The one thing I failed to add in the Horror description is that the negative side effects from it give you a penalty die for the duration of the Conflict.

Can you add this to the errata on your web site? Or is this in the book somewhere?

Thanks.

Keith Senkowski

Roger,

Done and done.  Let me know if you run across anything else I have missed.  I really should go through the book and look myself, but I have really hit my stride with Conspiracy of Shadows: Apocalypse and don't want to lose momentum.

Are you running a game or planning on doing so?  If so I would love to hear about it.

Keith
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.

Roger Eberhart

Just started reading about the game recently. Sounds like good stuff. I'll be placing an order for it soon. I read over the rules briefly on your web site. I really like the momentum rules. I was an epee fencer in college and I've also done some Kali and other martial arts. This rule should really help sell the feel of sword fighting. Was this inspired by TRoS?

Keith Senkowski

Roger,

The Princess Bride and the The Three Musketeers (the 70's version) was the inspiration for the momentum rules.  I always liked how that played out on the screen and wanted to get something like that in the game.  The whole back and forth of successive attacks.

Keith

Roger Eberhart

Quote from: Bob Goat on September 18, 2005, 08:02:09 PM
The Three Musketeers (the 70's version)

You sold me. Actually, I already bought it a couple hours ago. My favorite movie(s) (counting the sequel) of all time.

Keith Senkowski

Roger,

Awesome.  Thanks for the purchase.  I hope ya dig it.

Keith