News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[WMHS] Readers/Playtesters wanted for 24h game

Started by Kynn, September 10, 2005, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kynn

Hi folks --

Earlier this year, I wrote up a 24 hour game, Wandering Monsters High School.  The premise is:  What if fantasy adventure monsters went to high school?  And it were just like every teen movie you've ever seen, but with dark elves and zombies and golems and green slimes and owlbears?

It got a good review as part of the 24 Hour Game project -- an "A" overall, one of four or five as of the time it was written -- and various people have written to me to say they liked the concept and most of the execution.

So I'm working on rewriting it, now that I have more than 24 hours to spend on it.

As such, I'd like to get feedback from people who are willing to review, comment on, and play the darn thing.

If you're one of those people, you can download a PDF (text only -- no graphics, so only 165K in size) from the following location:  http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/WMHS-sdcc.pdf

That's the most current version; it incorporates some errata that fixes bugs in the original PDF, but doesn't introduce much in the way of new material.  That new material is what I'm working on now.

Specific questions:

1.  Does the organization of the game make sense?  I'm worried that some portions of the rules may simply be "throwing a bunch of options/classes/spells at the players."

2.  Are there any parts of the book which are glaringly under-written?  For example, I know that non-combat task resolution is glossed over, as I was going to go back and write more there -- but the 24 hours ran out.

3.  Characters have two player-chosen goals.  Players are discouraged from actually having their characters achieve those goals; because then they just need to choose more goals.  Does this work against the idea of having fun with the game, or does it increase the fun?

4.  Would you buy and/or play this game?  And if so, so why or why not?  I'm trying to figure out what the "selling points" are, as well as addressing some of the weaknesses and limitations of the game -- which may turn out to be strengths as well.  For example, there's no character advancement rules; maybe the game doesn't need them.

Anyway, thanks in advance. You can post here or email me at NextOfKynn@gmail.com.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Just wanted to let you know you got a bite. I'm printing your game out so I can read at work this week, so hopefully I have comments by the weekend.

- Clyde
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Kynn

Yay! Thanks, Clyde.

Is there anything of yours I can help with or read?

--Kynn

JakeVanDam

Although I don't have time to test it, it seems pretty good on the first read.

1. It was very well organized. The sections that are mostly lists don't seem out of place at all.
2. Non-combat resolution could use some fleshing out, but I think that about a lot of systems, so take it with a grain of salt. I also think a little advice on creating new material may be helpful, though that's a bit of a judgement call.
3. It makes it clear that the point of the game is to play it, not win it. Things might make more sense and be more interesting if players were encouraged to have their backup goal be something that could result from the completion of their primary goal.
4. I would definately buy it, because my group tends toward silliness, and it's nice to play a game that's just meant to be fun, rather than dramatic or overly precise. The only thing holding me back would be my limited budget, but there are always ways around that.

Also, I would adress what happens in case of a tie in an opposed roll, and what happens when one recieves a bonus to a grade that is already at an A+. Great job, especially given the time limit.