News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Usability of Wiki-published Games?

Started by Shreyas Sampat, September 21, 2005, 02:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shreyas Sampat

This may be a good thread to refer to first.

Anyway, with the help of the excellent Thomas Robertson, I've published a Torchbearer ruleset-as-wiki, and I am curious about whether others find this format to be useful as game reference. I'd be particularly interested in hearing about any experience people have had with other game systems in this format.

More specifically, are there weaknesses in the structure (setting aside the generic graphic design for the moment) that could be repaired?

Keith Senkowski

Shreyas,

You got an extra slash at the end of your link to the Torchbearer wiki (which I fixed in my post).  Wiki's can be cool for a game reference so long as they are consistently organized with a nice, clear, searchable hierarchy.  Then again that is needed for anything right.  My biggest problem with Wikis though is too much information at once (the sitemap thing) combined with bad layout. 

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Josh Roby

First and foremost, Shreyas, I'd create a 'landing pad' home page that tells new users what sort of site they're at and what sort of game it describes.  I'm kind of lost.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Paul Czege

Shreyas,

TiddlyWiki is very cool. I agree with Joshua, you need the first of your default tiddlers to be an intro to the game and the site. And additionally:

Get your copyright information onto the page somehow.

Create a permaview with all the essential tiddlers showing in a way that's conducive to printing.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Shreyas Sampat

Vaxalon

If I can't print it out easily, I'm not interested.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker