News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Descriptors, which are detailed later in the chapter....

Started by Brand_Robins, September 19, 2005, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand_Robins

Heya,

Just reading over CoS, and loving it, but I have one minor concern. Repeatedly, through the "Creating the Cell" chapter it says "and each of [these things] must have a Descriptor, which are detailed later in the chapter." Then they... aren't.

Now, I'm a big boy and capable of figuring out from the nice examples what descriptors are and how they work, I'm just currious about this apparent gaffe. Was this from a previous edition? Was something left out? Moved to the previous chapter where it says "good descriptors add a dice, negative ones subtract a dice?" Or should I just read the "later in the chapter" as "be an adult and figure it out?"

Also, is there another way to use negative descriptors besides from witchblood powers? That's the only part of the book that mentions them, but they seem to me to have application far beyond that of normal magic. (Such as Gerard's Decorum, Agility, and Temperment descriptors  -- which could be the reason he has 3 destiny points (though if all three are negative should it be 4?), but this is never fully stated.)

Anyway, this aside, the game is rocking my socks. Doom, Destiny, and Trust are all like concepts I'd been talking about with my wife to make solid games for our group -- but done better.
- Brand Robins

Keith Senkowski

Hey Brand,

Rawk on.  I'm glad you are digging it.  Doom, Destiny and Trust all grew out of discussions with my wife as a starting point about what I wanted and her nodding, smiling, and then asking why I haven't written it down yet.

Just reading over CoS, and loving it, but I have one minor concern. Repeatedly, through the "Creating the Cell" chapter it says "and each of [these things] must have a Descriptor, which are detailed later in the chapter." Then they... aren't.

Now, I'm a big boy and capable of figuring out from the nice examples what descriptors are and how they work, I'm just currious about this apparent gaffe. Was this from a previous edition? Was something left out? Moved to the previous chapter where it says "good descriptors add a dice, negative ones subtract a dice?" Or should I just read the "later in the chapter" as "be an adult and figure it out?"

That is totally legacy text from the previous edition.  In that edition Descriptors where explained in the that Chapter and not in the previous one as before.  So it should read something like: Players must spend all of their initial 11 points on attributes and each must have a Descriptor, which are explained in Chapter One. or something sexy like that.

Also, is there another way to use negative descriptors besides from witchblood powers? That's the only part of the book that mentions them, but they seem to me to have application far beyond that of normal magic. (Such as Gerard's Decorum, Agility, and Temperment descriptors  -- which could be the reason he has 3 destiny points (though if all three are negative should it be 4?), but this is never fully stated.) 

Negative Descriptors hook you up with your initial Destiny Pool, which is 1 + # of initial Negative Descriptors (cause everyone starts with at least one).  It is the mechanical trade off.  Suck in one area but have a larger pool to draw from to affect the imaginary space and shit.  It is detailed in the first Chapter, but should have been pointed out and explained in character creation.  I dropped the ball a bit in some of the organization of the content, which drives me nuts, and I apologize for it.

If ya got anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.  If there is one thing I like to talk about, it is this game...

Keith
\m/
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Brand_Robins

Thanks!

Hopefully I'll have some actual play to talk about within the month.

(I'd jump on it sooner, but I'm already overbooked for game. Woe is me.)
- Brand Robins