News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hero Wars is now Hero Quest

Started by J B Bell, March 24, 2002, 03:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J B Bell

Well, their FAQ is skimpy yet, but if you take a look at Issaries site, note that they're saying that the new game is a different game, and Hero Wars will be the one for playing in "modern" Glorantha.

Perhaps this new effort is a return to the rumored intention that Issaries would detail Glorantha only up to a certain point in time and stop, not providing any continuing arc, on purpose.  I've sent them some email asking about that, and perhaps that will end up in the FAQ.

--J B Bell

[Edit:  and the release date is now Spring 2002.  Siiigh.]
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

jburneko

I'm very confused by this situation.  Is there going to BE a Hero Wars 2nd edition?  Or is HeroQuest replacing Hero Wars but uses the same game system?  Arg!  I'm very interested in this game but I can't sort out the product lines.  What is the relationship between these two games?

Jesse

Gordon C. Landis

Best as I can figure, Hero Quest *is* Hero Wars 2nd edition, with the emphasis on a particualr time in Gloranthan history removed.  That is, the Hero Quest rules are the Hero Wars rules cleaned up and reformatted (as promised/proposed for Hero Wars 2e), but the setting that surrounds Hero Quest is "Glorantha in general".  "Hero Wars" will remain as a label for the line of products/supplements that explore/develop "Glorantha at the time of the HeroWars".

There was a thread about this over at rpg.net . . . I don't think anyone had anything more conclusive than the above.

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Le Joueur

Quote from: jburnekoI'm very confused by this situation.  Is there going to BE a Hero Wars 2nd edition?  Or is HeroQuest replacing Hero Wars but uses the same game system?  Arg!  I'm very interested in this game but I can't sort out the product lines.  What is the relationship between these two games?
I recently returned from the Internet, and while the Issaries FAQ is quite informative, according to my sources, Hasbro had the trademark on 'HeroQuest,' not Games Workshop.  Heck you can still download the rules from Hasbro.

Who currently owns it?  I don't know.  I'm not entirely sure the name change warrants the unwanted confusion between the old HeroQuest and Issaries' new one.  (But I for one loved the jigsaw pieces that came with it's 40K companion Space Hulk and would love similar from Issaries - What?  That was yesterday?  Damn my eyes.)

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

Gordon C. Landis

For what it's worth . . . a visit to the Trademark search system reveals that Issaries has the trademark, GW abandoned it . . . but no one's picked up ADVANCED HeroQuest.
(go to this link and navigate to where you can search for "HeroQuest" to see our IP law at work).

Gordon

(edited TWICE becasue you can't actually link to search results - OR the search screen)
www.snap-game.com (under construction)