News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Wounded: Alternate Trait Suggestion

Started by Judaicdiablo, September 28, 2005, 06:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judaicdiablo

in a previous post Vincent clarified the Fallout rules to indicate that "death" really means out of the story since not all fallout is physical. 

Our group is going to start using a new rule variation where the trait used to determined if you are wounded (12+ fallout) will be determined by what type of Wound the PC took.  Right now it always Body, but that doesn't always make sense.  We just had a session where the Engineer PC got "wounded" because people doubted he could fix the ship.  We used Body, but it didn't feel right.  He failed and went to 16, so then we had the Captain try to "save" him by talking him down from leaving. 

Examples: 
Physical Wound:     Body  ("Owww.  I've been shot.")
Emotional Wound:   Heart  ("How could you betray me?")
Social Wound:        Will     ("I can't show my face here after THAT?")

I need a good example for Accuity.  Suggestions and Comments appreciated.

--Brandon

"Mal, your dead army buddy's on the bridge!" - Wash

rafial

Acuity probably would correspond to actual mental damage or illness.  I suspect River took some heavy Acuity directed fallout at some point ;)

rrr

Quote from: Judaicdiablo on September 28, 2005, 06:08:08 PM
Examples: 
Physical Wound:     Body  ("Owww.  I've been shot.")
Emotional Wound:   Heart  ("How could you betray me?")
Social Wound:        Will     ("I can't show my face here after THAT?")

I like your thinking, but would suggest you roll Social and Emotional wounds together and represent them with Heart. 

Will to me would be more like a crisis of confidence "wound" a blow to the character's self-esteem, their belief in themselves or even their belief in something else like another person or a concept like a religious system.

So I would go with:

Social/Emotional Wound:        Heart  ("How could you betray me?")
Shattered Confidence:  Will ("How could I let everyone down?  I'm useless!  Everything I do ends up wrong!")

That seems to me to be more in line with the write-up of the stats in DitV

I agree with rafial that Acuity would be a mental illness or damage.  Possiblities include loss of memory, sleep disorders, delusions etc.

Drew
My name is Drew
I live just outside north London, UK
Here's my 24hours Ronnies entry: Vendetta

Ben Lehman

I always use Will to deal with wounds, instead of Body.

First, Will makes sense for me as a "will to live" sort of business.

Second, I like a game where folks want to have a high Will.  More pressure to escalate to violence.

I got Vincent's stamp on this one.

yrs--
--Ben

lumpley

I prefer the "always will" hack to the "mix and match" hack.

-Vincent

rrr

My name is Drew
I live just outside north London, UK
Here's my 24hours Ronnies entry: Vendetta

lumpley

Quote from: rrr on September 29, 2005, 10:07:03 AM
Can you explain why?

Nah. I just do, don't mind me.

Heart makes more sense than Will anyway.

Let me know how it goes!

-Vincent

Judaicdiablo

From a pure rules mechanics standpoint, my complaint with using a single trait for all wounds is that it makes that single stat more important than the others. 

The argument to make it will because that encourages people to escalate is not a valid one.  I say this because it is easy to escalate for dice and with 2 types per trait, just because Will is part of shooting doesn't mean that players are more likely to escalate to shooting.

By having all the Stats equally important, I feel it keeps more in line with the spirit of the game.  I would prefer the players to put dice in Will (or Body) because those are types of conflicts they want to be a part of, not just because they don't want to die.  To me, it becomes a false pressure on the game (even if it is subtle.)

I'm gonna use the mix and match and see how it goes. 

Accuity:  Torture or Drugs - IE - Can you keep your mental focus.  Some might say Will for Torture, but Will is appropriate to fight being broken by the torture, not whether your mind holds onto reality when their done.

--Brandon