News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Fractured Destinies]

Started by Tobaselly, September 25, 2005, 06:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobaselly

Quote from: Adam Dray on September 29, 2005, 06:41:57 PM
Don't be discouraged. Many of us went through the same realization.

I recommend reading John Kirk's fabulous Design Patterns of Successful Role-Playing Games, linked and discussed in this thread. The book is full of game design patterns that you may or may not have seen before. In my opinion, it's the fastest way to scan the breadth of ideas available to designers and spawn some of your own. The patterns are great for ideas. The survey of games in the back will give you a feel for how different a role-playing game can be from mainstream games like D&D and Storyteller.

Don't give up! Read the design pattern book. Read the articles here. Read the Actual Play threads here. Write some of your own, using examples from your own experience with D&D and other games. Pick up some of the games you see mentioned there -- a lot of them are freely available! Play them and try to understand what works and what doesn't. Ask questions here on the forums.

Good luck!

I actually went and downloaded it the other day, it's a pretty good read :)

I'm going to continue on with the game, but what i think i'm going to do is put together some smaller things first to gain a bit more of a presence and an idea about how the industry works more than particulars of game design.  If there is anything that i have it's way too many ideas and not enough hands to write them down with

Adam Dray

Excellent. I look forward to seeing more!
Adam Dray / adam@legendary.org
Verge -- cyberpunk role-playing on the brink
FoundryMUSH - indie chat and play at foundry.legendary.org 7777