News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FUDGE-y Action Resolution using 3d6 : thoughts?

Started by Ribonucleic, October 03, 2005, 12:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribonucleic

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before, but I didn't find anything when doing a forum search...

I'm considering using FUDGE as the foundation for a new project. However, the -4 to +4 spread for Action Resolution seems too wide. Using 4dF, a Mediocre talent has a 1.2% chance of achieving a Superb result - and that just doesn't seem realistic. Using d6, as I'm committed to for reasons of practicality, the odds of such a fluke are even better. (Yes, I know about the ways about converting a d6 to a dF, but I'd rather not muck around with that.)

So I'm looking at a -3 to +3 spread using 3d6 as follows:

Roll        Result        Odds

3            -3               0.46%
4-5         -2               3.70%
6-8         -1             21.29%
9-12        0             36.57%
13-15    +1             21.29%
16-17    +2              3.70%
18        +3               0.46%

This plumps up the middle of the bell curve - hewing closer to my perception of real-world likelihood.

If I've erred in my math - or if you there's an advantage to the wider spread that I've overlooked - I'll be grateful if you let me know.

Rob Carriere

Actually, you haven't overlooked the advantage of a wider spread, you've cited it. :-)

If you make a narrow, spiky distribution, you are setting up a game where the expected is what happens, reliably. As you make the distribution wider and flatter, you're moving toward fluke central.

In some games, you want the normal, reliable. In some games, it's the more flukes, the merrier. Consider making a grim and gritty movie. Now consider the remake with Jackie Chan.

So, it's a matter of what kind of game you want to make.
SR

Rob Carriere

Just noticed the post count.

Welcome to the Forge!

SR
--