News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Midnight Heroquest conversion (take 2)

Started by Janus, October 03, 2005, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus

Greetings,

Sorry it took me so long, I had a lot of reading to do (and lot of work.) Thanks a lot for all the information as well as all the pointers. I've read through Kerstin's prep threads as well as the thread about magic. Good stuff.

I will go for an heroism based campaign, I think it has a greater story potential. Besides it's more my kind of stuff, it will just be way more low-key in term of power than our HQ/Exalted campaign, but I will try to make up for it in intensity :)

For magic, I decided to follow's Mike's advice: 'What makes magic "magical" is having some meaning behind the magic.' Also rather than trying to map the magic user classes from Midnight d20 to HQ, I decided to go on a case by case basis and introduce various kind of spellcasters as they serve the story.

Out of my four players, two decided to play spellcasters.
One seem to want to do a standard wizard, we still have to work out what kind of magic he is interested in, but initially it seemed to be the hermetic kind (with grimoires, spells, places of power, etc.) The spells would come from channeling the magical energies of the world and the power nexus; I think HQ Wizardry rules would work fine for this.

The other is playing a kind of northman spirit-talker, he wants to lay to rest the Lost (undeads without a body) and the Fell (undeads with a body) and his supported in his task by the spirits of his ancestors (the ones that rest in peace, amongst the Eternals). At first I thought of making him some kind of Shaman but his goal if for the spirits to rest in peace, so binding the spirits in his service seems kinda wrong... but I still want the spirits who approve of his work to grant him powers, so I might have him be able to channel the energies of the Eternals in the form of some feats / affinities. If he stray from the path his ancestors consider proper he might get haunted tho :) I could probably allow him some friendly spirit ally that decided to tag along to help him.

I'm not sure what I will do for the bad guys yet. I'm only sure their powers come from the evil God and is divine. I have to give some thoughts about the various kinds of legates that are around (there are some exemples in Midnight... but they need some extra work to become interesting, IMO.) It has not been my biggest priority tho as the first leg of the campaign is going to discover various cultures of the world; a more close and personal conflict with the Order of the Shadow will come later.

Sorry for all the uncertainity, it's pretty much a work in progress at this point. As usual with me it's going to end up being an adaptation more than a conversion, bent to the needs of my campaign :)

Again, thanks a lot for all the information / comments / suggestions; it's most helpful.

Regards,

Janus