News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Ronnies] October contest begins!

Started by Ron Edwards, October 03, 2005, 10:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Majcher

Quote from: Ron Edwards on October 14, 2005, 01:53:55 PM

"Celestial Sphere: The Fight for the Cosmos in the Age of Pain" might be a fine addition to the 24-Hour site, but it cannot get a Ronny. The first condition is correctable, but the second is not.

What if he changes it to a game about constellations in the Cosmic Spheres who are engaged in a painful fight against rats who hate their suburban girlfriends?

BlU_sKrEEm

Oh well, like I said in the description of the game itself I went the whore route rather then trying to write a good game, and there are much better games written. I did put a good run on it, but I didn't expect / particularly want to win, it was just kind of a neat diversion. I do feel kind of silly forgetting the second rule however, I guess that's what I get for starting a game a little after midnight.

The project was not received? I submitted it at around 11:45 pm (central time) to the 24 hour RPG site.

BlU_sKrEEm

Quote from: Marc Majcher on October 14, 2005, 01:59:33 PM
What if he changes it to a game about constellations in the Cosmic Spheres who are engaged in a painful fight against rats who hate their suburban girlfriends?

Darned the no help rule on 24 hour Projects! I would totaly write this one.

greyorm

Whew...I just squeaked my rough submission in five minutes to the deadline. You should have seen the flurry of activity: swapping music discs, timing air breaks, typing madly, jumping from the Forge to my web mail to the 24 hour game site, and popping on the air to make quick, pithy comments about the weather and such WHILE doing all the above.

And sniffling like mad...damn cold. I'm going to bed, man.

Oh crap...I just realized I didn't put my name inside the actual PDF...I hope that is not going to be a problem, Ron?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

All over, as of the previous midnight. Raven's entry was the last in, much to Jared's disappointment, I'm sure. He wanted to be first-in in the first contest, and last-in for the second, for whatever aesthetic goals Jared may or may not maintain ...

Anyway, 27 entries total, this time. Let's see. In the September round, I received 33 eligible games in 20 days. That's 1.65 games per day. This time, I shortened the round length in hopes of getting a little less work involved and correspondingly to do a better job of critiquing each game, and gumming up less forum space.

You fuckers submitted 27 games in 10 days. Increasing the per-day game quantity to 2.7.

Well, all right then. You can expect Indie Design to be Ronnies, Ronnies, Ronnies, all the live-long, ding-dong day.

Best,
Ron

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteAnyway, 27 entries total, this time. Let's see. In the September round, I received 33 eligible games in 20 days. That's 1.65 games per day. This time, I shortened the round length in hopes of getting a little less work involved and correspondingly to do a better job of critiquing each game, and gumming up less forum space.

You fuckers submitted 27 games in 10 days. Increasing the per-day game quantity to 2.7.

-That's just an incredible ammount.  To me it suggests that people are willing to try game design if they know in advance they will receive some serious feedback and potentially some mentoring.  I gotta say, I respect you quite a bit for taking this on all by yourself, Ron.

Peace,

-Troy

Blankshield

It also says to me that, as with most things, the two hardest parts are starting and finishing.  Folks, we've got the first part down in spades.  Ron's given some great motivation (the feedback, not the $$, obviously) to starting, the next part is on us as designers and spectators to

a: provide useful feedback to keep designers motivated, and
b: finish our damn games.

James
...off to start reading games to keep up my end.
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Rossum

Quote from: Blankshield on October 15, 2005, 03:22:17 PM
Ron's given some great motivation (the feedback, not the $$, obviously) to starting, the next part is on us as designers and spectators to

a: provide useful feedback to keep designers motivated, and
b: finish our damn games.

One way to keep designers motivated and to finish our damn games (guilty!) might include some sort of "second round" whereby only previously entered games could enter. Instead of twenty-four hours, perhaps give people a week to revise their games based on previously received feedback.

As a reward, somehow guarantee blind playtests for entrants. How's that for a carrot?

MDK
--
Mischa D. Krilov, rossum gmail com. Author, 1984 Prime.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - the late, great, Douglas Adams
Read my blog: http://rossum.blogspot.com

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

I can't wipe nose through the entire process, guys. If you win a Ronny, you have my personal commitment to the development of your game in the long term. Can't offer more than that.

Best,
Ron