News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Using d6 for complications

Started by Arturo G., October 05, 2005, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo G.

At the end of the new chapter-1 draft it is said that there will be an appendix explaining how to use d6s instead of d10s for complications. I have not found any information about this on the Universalis website? Have I missed it?

Anyway, let me guess... Substitute d10s by the same number of d6s. Throw dice and discard even numbers; add up the odd numbers. This would keep the same mean of coins get by the winner. Am I correct?

Could be the change of granularity a problem (no 2,4s)?

I'm interested because it seems we are finally going to play tomorrow!! And we don't have so many d10s around.

Arturo

Valamir

Yup, that's exactly right.  There might be a granularity difference if you have conflicts with only 2-3 dice in a pool, but it won't cause any damage to the game and it isn't noticeable with larger pools.

You can find it on the site in the Addons section: here

Arturo G.

Uppss! I don't know how I managed to skip it when looking through the website.

Then, I will go for the d6s. It will be much more convenient for us.

Thanks a lot , Ralph!

hix

I use the d6 variant all the time now.

Ralph, Mike: have you given much thought to making that the standard option for the game? I'd suspect it'd make it easier to pick up and play for non-gamers. Most people have d6s lying around - d10s are way tricker (unless you want to get into playing cards or pages of a book).
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Victor Gijsbers

There is an additional subtle detail: on an Edge die, 2, 4, and 6 should generate 6, 8 and 10 coins respectively. (Otherwise, you'll lose the nifty little thing whereby losing players will often get more coins than winning players when Edge dice come into play.)

Valamir

Quite true.

However, I'm eliminating that detail from the revised rules completely because its just far too fiddly to mess with and I forget it entirely myself most of the time.  If the game designer can't remember his own rule...it probably wasn't a good one.  I think its a prime example of me trying to be too clever by half.

Of course if you enjoy that feature, it makes a great Gimmick.

Victor Gijsbers

Ralph, if that's the case, then I definitely agree with hix: just make d6s the standard die. I can't see a reason to prefer d10s over d6s anymore, and most people (roleplayers and non-roleplayers alike) have more d6s than d10s.