News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GM Fallout during Initiation?

Started by MarcoBrucale, October 10, 2005, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoBrucale

Yesterday I finished reading DitV for the first time. My very short review of this book: it should be mandatory reading for anyone even remotely interested in playing RPGs. The 'how to GM' section in particular, which in most RPGs is a kind of tribute to wasted printer toner, is perhaps the best ever written for this style of play.
If no one from my usual group will demonstrate a willingness  to play DitV, I think I'll consider escalating to physical and beyond :-)

I have a question regarding initiation. Do the fallout dice that the GM collects have any further impact once the conflict is resolved? I ask because in one of the examples in the book, the GM takes the blow on a player's raise, and then raises big with a couple of d10s. The fact is, I can see (as the GM) how to decide when to do that when playing a specific NPC. But during initiation? I wouldn't have a clue.

Suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated!
-----------------------------------------------
Marco Brucale

Vaxalon

Not really.  Ordinarily it would have an impact on followup conflict, but there isn't any.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

lumpley

Fred's right.

During initiations, GM, feel liberated to take all the fallout you want!

Oh, unless you are playing a specific NPC or group of NPCs. Then they can take fallout same as always. For instance: if a Dog-to-be shoots the theology instructor, yes, she can kill him.

-Vincent

Vaxalon

I have an idea for a second edition (if there ever is any)... give each PC a free relationship with his/her mentor at the Dogs Temple.  Any fallout the GM takes during the initiation falls on the mentor.  The relationship also makes a good target for fallout the PC's take.

This could concievably make the mentor less able to help the PC out at a later date, if he should come up in play (and in a long-running game, he might very well do so).
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker