News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Half and half

Started by Nathan P., September 28, 2005, 10:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan P.

First Half:

...I'm not gonna lie, I think this is really funny.

Second Half:

I had an interesting conversation last week when my group was deciding which of my indie game collection to play. One guy seemed really interested in Dogs (was flipping through it and reading the intro stuff and such), but the other responded pretty negatively, saying that he's just not interested in religion - not exploring it, not addressing it or challenging it, nothin. Which is fine, and we ended up deciding to play PtA. But it made me wonder about how much one could divorce Dogs from its religious context and have it still be Dogs.

My inclination, from seeing other threads here, is that as long as whatever replaces religion has the same meaning in the context of the setting (Vincent expressed this meaning perfectely in some post that I can't find now), it's all gravy. But the "whatever replaces religion" is a sticking point for me, as I think that the concept is hard to duplicate. That is, what other concepts/ideas/whatever out there are true replacements for religion in Dogs, as opposed to a "religion by any other name"?

Or, y'know, point me to threads that deal with this already. Really, I just want everyone to see that picture up top!
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

lumpley

First half: ha! That's awesome. Thanks Nathan, I'd'a missed it!

Second half: here's what I've said on the subject recently: Re: Dogs in the Black: brainstormin' required. Start there and read down at least a couple posts.

-Vincent

Judaicdiablo

Its a bit self serving (I admit) but here is a great (IMO) alternate Ceremony List.

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=16938.0

--Brandon

John Burdick

Vincent,

Reading the linked discussion, I'm struck by how vividly the movie Serenity highlights everything you said about Firefly in that thread. Wow.

John

Nathan P.

Word. Thats what I was looking for, thanks Vincent!

You should release an alternate edition of Dogs with that cover, I think it has a broad appeal...
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

Vaxalon

Did the Frontier LDS have the kind of circuit riders we're talking about?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

lumpley

Vaxalon

Well, then, that kind of clinches it... if the central, core characters of DitV have no real-world analogue, then it really isn't "about" Mormons.  Not that I ever thought so.

I would have titled it "It's about God" because it's really hard to play DitV and NOT address issues of faith and authority.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

IMAGinES

Sort of sneaking back to the first half quickly, has anyone seen this?

Or this and this?

Or, better yet, THIS?!?
Always Plenty of Time!

Vaxalon

Hah!  Thanks!  Those are great.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Vaxalon

Rereading the thread, I'm surprised noone has mentioned Jedi yet.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Particle_Man

There was talk of a "Captain Kirk" style Dogs.  I mean, you go from planet to planet, solving problems by interpreting the Prime Directive.