News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

All's quiet... preliminary GM's draft

Started by JSDiamond, October 14, 2005, 01:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSDiamond

JSDiamond

SPDuke

JS--

I just read through the main booklet and the GM booklet of All's Quiet. . . It seems like it would be a lot of fun!  It's a game I would want to play with some velvet or a mouse pad at hand upon which to roll my dice.  I'm not sure if you had any particular questions about the game.  Is there anything you'd like us to look into?

I certainly like the idea of Status cards, but had some questions. . . do you draw them from a pile at random?  If so, then it seems awkward that you'd be able to trade them in at any time, since you could therefore keep drawing until you got a particular card you want.  And if you get to choose which card you get, then it seems silly to have a limited number of cards in you "hand" depending on your Rank.  It's like: I have only 1 card in my hand because I've only gained 1 rank.  It's "Gossip," but I'm in a situation where I want to use "Encounter".  Since I can trade my card in at any time and as many times as I'd like, I'll just keep trading until I get "Encounter".  See?  Doesn't this therefore give the player a hand that is basically unlimited in size?  And if so, then the bonus to hand size for gaining Rank is negated.

A few suggestions for fixes:
1.  Don't let the player trade in his card as often as he likes--just make him deal with the cards he initially chooses.  Or...
2.  Don't let the player trade in his cards as often as he likes, and make it so that a player can only have 1 card in his hand at maximum, but gets an additional "trade-in" with each Rank gained.  Or...
3.  Give the player access to all the cards--an unlimited hand and he can use any card he pleases at any time, but for each Rank he gets an additional "use" per adventure (or before recharging at home base).

Another nitpicky thing:

For "other actions" you keep using a phrase like: "a flat 50% chance of success, meaning a roll of 6 or less on 2d6."  This just irks me because the chances of getting a 6 or less on 2d6 is roughly 42%.  7 or less is about 55%, which is actually closer to the 50% ideal.  Why not just say "6 or less on 2d6" and omit the 50% thing if you like the idea of 6-or-less; or say "3 or less on 1d6" if you want stick with the 50% thing?

Otherwise, I think this game sounds like fun!  I look forward to reading through "Debris", because I think it will have a lot of flavor (is the term "color" on these boards?) and your flavor is great.  Mouse gourd!  Genius!

Peace,

-Steve
Schadenfreude Level: Yellow (Elevated)

JSDiamond

The main things I'd like feedback on are; Does it work and does it *fit* the spirit of the game --that being living as a thief in a besotted and broken fantasy world.

Quotecertainly like the idea of Status cards, but had some questions...do you draw them from a pile at random?...    ...Give the player access to all the cards
The players choose which cards they want as their character earns Rank. I probably didn't clarify that in the text.  So, players choosing their own cards answers your second point about use, since (for example) I would choose cards that matched situations I especially enjoy, or think I'll need for the adventure.  Players just go through the whole set of cards --however many there are, and choose what they like.   

The 1:1 ratio of Rank-to-Status exists so the player is recognized for their prowess and gains additional in-game *power* just as their character does.  Not to slight other systems, but if my character makes it to level-57 in GAME-X, fifty-seven levels later I'm still the same player with exactly the same influence over the game --no matter how good a role-player I am, or how good I am at tactics, or whatever.  Now, since a character must escape capture or death during an adventure equal to their current Rank to earn a promotion, it makes rank a precious and respectful thing.  There's no fudging.  That rank (in the game world) is a real measure of that charatcer's ability in a very dangerous profession and Status is a measure of the player's skill at thinking things through, taking risks in the game world and is therefore a real measure of their earned power and influence upon it.               

On the subject of cards:  Players can trade in their cards, but not during play.  They have to decide "Okay, this is what I'm going to use tonight" and choose their cards.  This way, a player doesn't have to use the same cards each time they play --if they don't want to.  Also, I think this adds some strategizing to the game.  I choose rumor cards because I can make up weird useable facts on the fly, while my buddy Dan excels at combat --so, he chooses cards he can use during melee.  And so on.

However, I can only choose as many cards as my current Status as a player allows.  I can only use as much as I have earned.  My character's successes are important to me, and my successes are important to him.  --Not meaning to sound too zen like or anything...         

Also, the "one use per visit" to home turf is there to further emphasize the value of Rank and Status --how much will you risk?  When?  It also maintains the grittiness of the game world --the "realism" if I dare to use that word.  After all, it would be a little silly --if to get out of melee, a player just kept playing the "broken weapon" card over and over.  It's a tad hard to believe that every guard's sword breaks.         

QuoteFor "other actions" you keep using a phrase like: "a flat 50% chance of success, meaning a roll of 6 or less on 2d6."  This just irks me because the chances of getting a 6 or less on 2d6 is roughly 42%.  7 or less is about 55%, which is actually closer to the 50% ideal.  Why not just say "6 or less on 2d6" and omit the 50% thing if you like the idea of 6-or-less; or say "3 or less on 1d6" if you want stick with the 50% thing?
You're right and I quite agree.  I'm not satisfied with it either for two reasons.  1.) Because it's more of a quick fix for situations involving something the thief doesn't know and 2.) It doesn''t match the somantics and feel of the rest of the rules which rely on mods.  This is something I still need to refine.  The thing I'm dancing around here is the use of individual "skills" and further calculations which I very much am going to avoid.  Maybe odd or even on 1d6?  Hmmm.... more work to do.

A skeleton Debris draft will be ready soon.

Thank you very much for the feedback.
JsD

JSDiamond

mutex

Sod realism, just keep doing the good thing you're doing.

I would suggest not complicating the dice mechanic just to fit the mood.  I would express the rules clearly and be done with it.

SPDuke

QuoteNot to slight other systems, but if my character makes it to level-57 in GAME-X, fifty-seven levels later I'm still the same player with exactly the same influence over the game --no matter how good a role-player I am, or how good I am at tactics, or whatever.

I totally feel this, and I understand where you're coming from with Status.  After reading this post all my questions about Status were satisfied.  I understand now!

QuoteThe thing I'm dancing around here is the use of individual "skills" and further calculations which I very much am going to avoid.  Maybe odd or even on 1d6?  Hmmm.... more work to do.

Do avoid it!  I like that your system is stream-lined toward thieving, and adding anything makes it a whole other beast.  (I'm even a little ambivalent about the fact that you have rules for missile combat, but that's personal preference.  As a GM I would avoid missile situations.)

I was thinking maybe throw out the dice mechanic for these rare situations and simply let the players narrate how things fall out.  Perhaps you could roll 1d6 and odd: player narrates, even: GM narrates.

As always, just a suggestion.  I'm sure you'll think of something!

the best,

-Steve
Schadenfreude Level: Yellow (Elevated)

JSDiamond

QuoteSod realism, just keep doing the good thing you're doing
: )     Thank you!

Quote...all my questions about Status were satisfied.  I understand now!
Thank you for asking those questions, I've gone back and made those clarifications. 

QuoteOn the subject of skill lists = "Do avoid it!  I like that your system is stream-lined toward thieving, and adding anything makes it a whole other beast."
I will make every effort.

QuoteI was thinking maybe throw out the dice mechanic for these rare situations and simply let the players narrate how things fall out.  Perhaps you could roll 1d6 and odd: player narrates, even: GM narrates.
That is a good suggestion.  Coincidentally, today I was thinking of how many times a character in this game would actually be trying something far out of their normal scope of abilities -especially for a non-ranked thief.  I don't think that it wouldn't be that often, if at all.  So, maybe there doesn't need to be a whole mechanic to resolve it.  Narration may be the way to go.

QuoteAs a GM I would avoid missile situations
As would I, particularly as a thief.  This will be addressed in the Debris booklet, and will contain sentiments to this effect; that a thief is not a remorseless killer, and the wanton murder of guards will get the character in hot water fast --not only with the ruling classes but also with the commoners who will be less likely to feel sympathy toward the thief.  Not to sound all goody-two-shoes... but if a thief character kills 17 guards to steal 40-copper coins worth of bric-a-brac, he's going to get a reputation for being either insane or intolerably evil.  And with Black Guard Elite, warlocks and wizards at the noble's disposal --that thief wil be dead sooner than later.  And I'm talking straight die-rolls and situations *without* any GM caveat.

As always I will be updating both drafts, adding the setting booklet draft when I feel there's enough to warrant a seriously look.

JSDiamond