News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Untitled RPG] Non-standard Scene Framing

Started by Keith Senkowski, October 14, 2005, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Senkowski

I've been thinking long and hard about this statement Ron made here:

I'm assuming standard scene-conflict presentation and basic play, but that does seem boring.

It does seem boring and wrong for the game.  It got me wracking my brain as to what a non-standard scene-conflict presentation would be.  I started thinking about the game itself and the whole having the group create an artifact in play.  What if the artifact being create is a journal of this type and the scenes are created from this journal?  And what if this journal was created round robin?

I remember doing this thing as a kid where you fold a piece of paper in three parts and you draw one part (say the head), fold it over, and pass it to the next person who draws the next (say the body), and so on.

But the question is what is the mechanic for doing this?  Does each person write a scene down, flip the page over and pass it to the right having another scene added and then is it pulled out of a hat at random?  Would that even work, I don't know.

Either way I think a non-traditional way of scene framing is the answer to the artifact creation process and would love any input on this idea.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Gregor Hutton

I was talking about something similar to this with Cat Tobin, when we were in Aberdeen last weekend. The idea I came up with was that you could read what the previous person had written and then you folded and wrote. So everyone has read the previous player's contribution, but not the one that they based that contribution on.

For our game idea I think we discarded this method in the end and went with just declaring openly. But for Untitled it might work and add a bit of control?