News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hierarchy of the Shitstorm & Doctrine

Started by Josh Roby, October 19, 2005, 07:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Roby

Is the Pride -> Injustice -> Sin -> parts I don't remember -> Hate and Murder thing a strictly OOC setup, or is it an in-character understood element of the Faith's doctrine?  To put a finer point on it, should Dogs be walking into a town, finding out what level it's at, and then rooting down level-by-level, conferring with eachother as they call things 'Sin', 'Injustice', and 'Pride'?

...or is this a decision made group-by-group (the likely answer)?
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Iskander

The heirarchy's spelled out both in Creating Towns for GMs (p. 95 et seq.), but also in Creating Characters: A Dog's Duties (pp. 42-43), so I understand it as explicit player and character knowledge.

(page references GenCon '05 Ed.)
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

Brand_Robins

Yea, in the Cgen section it says, after the list, "Knowing this makes your character a theologian" -- so I think chracters do know it ICly.

I haven't, however, always had players who went looking for it with deliberation. Some groups do, others are more interested in finding sins and judging them individually rather than by running down the heirarchy.

Be interesting to see what our current group does, eh Josh?
- Brand Robins

Josh Roby

The other players and their "Find sin, shoot in face" SOP are scaring me.  Especially my wife. ;)
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Joshua BishopRoby on October 20, 2005, 01:35:10 PM
The other players and their "Find sin, shoot in face" SOP are scaring me.  Especially my wife. ;)

Yea, well we'll see if I can make the characters in the town so very human and understandably FUBARed that actually pulling the trigger becomes real damn hard....
- Brand Robins

Iskander

Ay, there's the rub, Brand.

I find it much easier to spin off into a cycle of sin, demonic influence and general badness than to make sure the players are faced with sympathetic sinners.

But it's early days for me, yet.
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Iskander on October 20, 2005, 02:07:39 PMI find it much easier to spin off into a cycle of sin, demonic influence and general badness than to make sure the players are faced with sympathetic sinners.

Yea, my track record there is mixed. As Josh can tell you I have a tendancy as a GM to drop bombs and always go for the INTENSITY IN TEN CITIES plots. This is at odds with the low grade, subtle, and human turmoil that often works best in a Dogs town that is pre-False Priesthood. I've done it well a couple times, flubbed it once, and come out even a few times.

This game will be online, which is both better (I AM WR1T0R!) and worse (no visual emotional clues).
- Brand Robins

Josh Roby

Quote from: Brand_Robins on October 20, 2005, 02:11:33 PMThis game will be online, which is both better (I AM WR1T0R!) and worse (no visual emotional clues).

Yeah, but with our players, we'll all probably be more comfortable in that venue than face-to-face.  I mean, I certainly wouldn't be genderbending if it was tabletop.