News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

FindPlay - a new tool to find other gamers in your area

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, October 15, 2005, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

Last Tuesday, I got this itch to write a tool to help people find people in their area that like the same games they do. I released it this morning, and there's not a lot there yet - this sort of thing takes off by people using it.

So, anyway, go sign up if you like. You'll note the standard Forge poll questions (what three games have you most recently played, liked most, want to play.) They're there to keep this simple: all the sites like this I've seen before are way too complex.

So, here it is: http://findplay.anvilwerks.com. Feel free to leave me feedback here.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

beingfrank

It looks like a beautiful idea.  But it won't let me sign up.  Application error (Rails) or something.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: beingfrank on October 17, 2005, 05:43:52 AM
It looks like a beautiful idea.  But it won't let me sign up.  Application error (Rails) or something.

I think I've tracked that down: it seems to happen when it can't parse your address. I'll work on it today and clear that up.

It still won't let you sign up if it can't parse your address, but I'll have it give a cogent message.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

beingfrank

Does it cope with antipodean addresses?  'Cause I can see that it might not, and that would be a pity.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: beingfrank on October 17, 2005, 06:53:19 AM
Does it cope with antipodean addresses?  'Cause I can see that it might not, and that would be a pity.

I'm so baffled. Does it deal with people on the exact opposite side of the planet as you? I suppose it would. If Google Maps can deal with it, FindPlay can.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jason Morningstar

I signed up and it showed me nearby twunts (you know who you are), but it broke when I tried to edit my profile.  Other than that the awesomeness is blinding.

Also, you should consider adding a privacy/use statement. 

--Jason

Bankuei

Hi Clinton,

I couldn't even sign in...

Quotecould not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

/app/controllers/player_controller.rb:25:in `new'
/app/controllers/player_controller.rb:25:in `register'

I'm on a Safari, Mac OS 10.3.5, and dial up... 

Chris

Blankshield

Ditto Chris' result, on WinXP, IE version 6.0.2900 and a bunch more numbers after that.  I am behind a corporate firewall, but am not filtered or proxied on standard http traffic.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

matthijs

Timeout::Error in Player#register
execution expired
/lib/freegeo.rb:9:in `lookup'
/app/models/player.rb:63:in `edit'
/app/controllers/player_controller.rb:27:in `register'

Ginger Stampley

Same error as matthijs. Safari 2.0.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2, broadband (DSL).
My real name is Ginger

Clinton R. Nixon

It seems to be working much better now after some repair work (thank you guys for testing it.) I'm still a little worried about the geographic lookup scheme. I went with Google Maps, as that makes it much more useful for international people. However, this introduces the problem that the program can time out waiting for a response from Google Maps to translate your address into a longitude and latitude.

I could just locate people by Zip Code centroids, which would solve the problem, but mean that international people are screwed. Hrm.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Matt Snyder

Very cool ap and service, Clinton.

Is there a way for the user to control his geographical radius? It appears that 35 miles is the limit set here. (Why 35, by the way?). Can there be a drop down menu or something similar that sets the radius something like:

10 miles
25 miles
50 miles
75 miles
100 miles
200 miles

Some of us not near large metropolitan areas are willing to drive a bit farther for some fun on a weekend.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Matt Snyder on October 18, 2005, 10:24:15 AM
Is there a way for the user to control his geographical radius? It appears that 35 miles is the limit set here. (Why 35, by the way?).

The actual calculation: your latitude +/- 0.5 and your longitude +/- 0.5. That's about 35 miles to the north and south, and if you live in a fairly central (non-equatorial, non-polar) area, about 35 miles to the west and east.

You might be able to control your geographical radius in the future. I started with the simplest thing that could possibly work.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Blankshield

It's working now.  Predictably enough, it shows me near... no body. :) 

(I live halfway to the frozen north; there's about 5 people up here who know about the forge - the other 5 people are two busy getting their sled teams ready for winter)

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Lance D. Allen

The ironic thing is, I think I'll probably already know all the Forgies in the area.

Still very cool little utility though. I'll have to check back occasionally, and spread the word.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls