News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Troy's Standard Rant #3: The Power 19

Started by Troy_Costisick, October 18, 2005, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJaxn

Quote from: Troy_Costisick on October 24, 2005, 04:03:01 PM
9.) What does your game do to command the players' attention, engagement, and participation? (i.e. What does the game do to make them care?)

I'm not so sure about this one.

It's possible I'm not understanding what you mean. It seems to me like this will most likely fall under other questions about color, character, setting, and (possibly) even resolution mechanics, as it seems most players will be involved because the setting or premise interests them, or they have a cool character, or they're concerned about how successful they are and how they advance. Maybe this isn't true for players in general, but the ones I know are this way, typically.

All of the others seem like a good framework for designing an RPG.

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteIt's possible I'm not understanding what you mean. It seems to me like this will most likely fall under other questions about color, character, setting, and (possibly) even resolution mechanics, as it seems most players will be involved because the setting or premise interests them, or they have a cool character, or they're concerned about how successful they are and how they advance. Maybe this isn't true for players in general, but the ones I know are this way, typically.

For some games, the advancement and resolution systems are what will keep players engaged.  For some games it's entirely different.  In either case, this question will ilicit a precise answer that will encapsulate "just what is fun" about a person's game.  I think it's best to keep it, IMO.  But I do appreciate your feedback :)

Peace,

-Troy