News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] So Tell Us: Was It Really The Butler?

Started by IMAGinES, October 12, 2005, 06:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pôl Jackson

Quote from: IMAGinES on October 19, 2005, 06:53:45 PM
And on that note, I'd say this thread is pretty much wrapped up, eh?

Room for one more opinion, I hope.

I just realized that the players and the GM should come to a consensus about the post-play reveal. If I, as a GM, would rather not reveal the original town creation to the players after the game, then that's something I should discuss with the players. If I really want to show them the goods, on the other hand, then that should be discussed, too.

I know that personally, I'd prefer not to do a post-play reveal. The town on the sheet isn't the real town. The real town is the one that the players created together, through play. I never want the players to think, "oh, what we thought was important in the town wasn't on the sheet at all. I guess we played it wrong."

But I could go the other way, too. If the players were really into seeing my notes - "hey, what started that whole mess, anyway?" - then I'd gladly show them.

- Pôl

IMAGinES

Quote from: Pôl Jackson on October 22, 2005, 04:32:40 PM
I just realized that the players and the GM should come to a consensus about the post-play reveal. If I, as a GM, would rather not reveal the original town creation to the players after the game, then that's something I should discuss with the players. If I really want to show them the goods, on the other hand, then that should be discussed, too.

I like your thinking!

I know that personally, I'd prefer not to do a post-play reveal. The town on the sheet isn't the real town. The real town is the one that the players created together, through play. I never want the players to think, "oh, what we thought was important in the town wasn't on the sheet at all. I guess we played it wrong."

I utterly understand your thinking. If revealing the town's details post-play is damaging to interest in and enjoyment of the game

But I could go the other way, too. If the players were really into seeing my notes - "hey, what started that whole mess, anyway?" - then I'd gladly show them.

I think of it going this way:

Players: Okay, so we didn't get it right, although our Dogs don't know that. ... hey, is there a chance that the Dogs could come back to this town?
GM: (smiling ambiguously) Maaaybe.
Players: If they do, it's now gonna be more fucked up than it was before, right?
GM: (smiling wider, but still ambiguously) Possibly.
Players: Which means the Dogs would judge it again, and possibly screw it up again, potentialy making the situation even worse, right?
GM: (fuck ambiguity, he's grinning like the Cheshire Cat) Oh, yeah.
Players: We wanna play this again!

Sure, it'd probably take a certain kidn fo player, but I;d lie to think it's that certain kind of player that would already be digging DitV anyway!
Always Plenty of Time!

IMAGinES

Forgot to mention:

Quote from: Brand_Robins on October 12, 2005, 07:29:11 PM
I did this once.

Aha! Someone actually did it! Just what I was looking for! Cheers, Brand!

Quote from: Brand_Robins on October 12, 2005, 07:29:11 PM
My players looked at the town for a few moments, showed it to each other, and then one said:

"Damn this town was boring before we @#%&ed it all up."

Bastards. I'll never show them my notes again.

Ah. Good. Lesson learned from practical experience. Answers my question. Don't think I'll do it myself then.

:-D
Always Plenty of Time!