News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Parlor Narration and Simulationism

Started by greyorm, October 28, 2005, 02:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyorm

Over in  [Adrift] Going beyond "Parlor Narration", Callan complained:

Quotewas thinking, "Hey, it'll be cool to see how the characters interact," but then I restricted it to algorithms so it pretty much was the roleplaying equivalent of interaction in the Sims,

Yes, but what's wrong with that? Why isn't that still a valid base to work from?

Look, I think your going with something you like now, but I also think what you had before was something else you like - and it's not being explored any more. In a simulationist actual play thread I was once told "not to bring in the god damn narrativism". I think this thread could have done with the same advice - but as soon as relationships get mentioned, everyone 'knows' what it must be about and bring up the obvious 'faults' in the design. I wonder how much potential there was for something different here.

Parlor Narration is not Simulationism because it is not Exploration -- it doesn't allow for it. Parlor Narration is going through the motions of play, it isn't actually DOING anything except moving pieces in a proscribed fashion. Simply, it tells you when to talk AND what to talk about. Talking is the point of play, not Exploration (or anything else, for that matter), and certainly not Relationships or even Exploring relationships.

Plus, with all due respect, Callan, the criticism has fuck all to do with "Relationships" as a mechanic being all evil and shit to Narrativists (or something/someone).
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio