News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Question about Escalation and Dice

Started by Neal, October 25, 2005, 11:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal

I ran my first DitV gathering today.  It was limited to character generation and initiatory conflicts, but it went well.  Nevertheless, one player asked a question I was unable to answer, and had never even thought to ask.

"When I escalate from a shoving match to a firefight, what happens to the dice I already have on the table?  And what if I went in arguing, then punched somebody, then hit him with a bottle, then pulled out my guns?  Is there a limit?"

I scratched my head, picked up and thumbed through my rulebook, and said, "I dunno.  I don't think so.  I'll ask."

So there it is.  It's probably been asked before, and I'm not seeing it on these forums.  I had just assumed the new dice got tossed down with the old (since this is an escalation of an existing conflict and not a follow-up conflict), but maybe I'm wrong.  And if someone knows, could they give me a page reference -- or better yet, a section reference, as the different editions are paginated differently?

Vaxalon

The dice you have stay on the table.  Since you can't reroll any attribute, you'll only get one set of dice on the first two escalations, and none at all on the last.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Vaxalon

That is, you'll only ADD one set of dice on the first two escalations...
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Neal

Thanks, Fred.  I found the rule no more than ten minutes after I posted the topic.  I've even read it before.  It's page 35 in my edition.  Sorry for the wasted topic.

Still, that would be a hell of a conflict, wouldn't it?  I wonder how far a player could take that, if he or she wanted to?  With Stats, Relationships, listed and improvised Belongings, and Escalations, you could get quite a mound of dice on the table if you really tried. 

QuoteCome in arguing, using Acuity, Heart, Traits, and Relationships; Escalate to a struggle for possession of some object, using Body and new Traits; Escalate to a brawl, using Will, new Traits, a chair, a bottle, an ashtray, some guy's hat, your knife, and a parlor harp; Escalate to a gunfight, using new Traits, your best gun (and maybe the Relationship you have with it), your second-best gun, your buddy's gun, etc.  And then there's your old yaller dog, your buddy, and the bartender who's sided with you, all chipping in as the opportunity presents itself.  Damn, that's a lot of dice!

Has anyone seen a conflict go this way?  How big can it get before it tops out?

[I had a town all prepared tonight, but couldn't run it, sad to say.  I'd promised to take over a class for a friend of mine whose uncle is in poor health back in Louisiana, so I spent the time I'd set aside for Dogs talking instead about D.H. Lawrence's Sons and Lovers (not even my field; I'm an Americanist!).  Life can be cruel sometimes.  But at least we got through initiation, and the players really liked the system.  They're appetites are whetted for more.  Next week: Chokecherry Ridge, where a simple case of infidelity has led to a violent cult, and the sheriff has called in Territorial gunmen "to quiet things down."  Should be fun.]

Brand_Robins

I've had conflicts* that ended up using ever dice on a Dog's sheet, plus a monderate lump of dice for improvised items. It was against three sorcerers in a Hate and Murder town, and was a huge long conflict that ended with everyone involved dying.

It was after that conflict that I started to see how much Dogs can win against, if they are willing to give enough pain and take enough pain as part of it. Stopping a Dog who will do anything at all in order to stop you is something that requires a hell of a lot of doing.

*I say conflict(s), but it was only 1. I'm not that cool.
- Brand Robins

John Harper

I think I rolled every die I own in a Dogs conflict, once. I went out and bought more the next day. And I've come close a few times to rolling all the new ones, too.

And I'm old skool. I carry my dice around in a big steel lunchbox. They don't fit in no bag.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Vaxalon

One thing to remember is that if the stakes change, that's a follow-up conflict... which can mean even MORE dice on the table.
                                     --Vincent Baker