News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Getting Started

Started by Lisa Padol, September 20, 2005, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Quote from: Lisa Padol on October 06, 2005, 06:25:38 PM
Question: Is Sorcerer a games where it's absolutely essential that everyone do character creation at the same time, as is the case with PTA?

Allow me to tell you how it has worked for me.

I haven't played Sorcerer where we've made the setting together at the table.  I'm sure I'll get to that at some point but it hasn't happened yet.

So, I e-mail everyone the basic pitch and let them stew, asking them not to have any concrete ideas just yet.

Then we get together for a chargen half-session.  I hand out the descriptors.  Everyone reads, they think, they ask questions, they add a descriptor to the list that would go with the setting.  Mind you, the descriptors aren't wide open but sometimes one is missing that is obvious.

Then we discuss our concepts.  The players will find cross-overs between their characters.  No need to push the cross-overs too hard but they'll be there, well written descriptors will make that a sure thing.

We make up characters and then the relationships between PC's become clear.  These relationships aren't necessarily two PC's who know each other but could be just that tehy know of each other, have heard of each other's rep.

Then we write kickers together, making sure everyone is on the same page.  If they want to have kickers that are somehow related...cool.  If not...cool.

Then take those PC's, go home and think about how to handle 'em.

This process of character creation takes about two hours if its rushed, three if you've got the time.

Then writing bangs.

Then play.

Hope that helps.

Peter Nordstrand

Hi,

Quote from: Ron EdwardsWhat you need to do now is STOP and let the rest get worked out through the players and yourself in character creation.

I absolutely agree. It is time to kill this thread, stop talking to us for a little while and talk to your players instead. You are ready. And so what if you make a mistake or two? I've made a ton of stupid mistakes when running Sorcerer, but I'm learning, and I've had a cartload of disturbing yet entertaining experiences all the same.

Good luck
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Lisa Padol

Okay, I've got three potential players, one of whom went into fascinating detail about how universities came to be in our world and what precedent there is for exceptions to the church or mosque derived universities.

We've discussed when we can get together for character creation / one sheet review, and I've suggested the 28th. Yep, that's really the first time we've all got an opening (presuming we don't get hit by terrorists, nature, or various family health issues). I'll let you know how it goes.

-Lisa

Lisa Padol

Yay! We actually had a meeting and started Character Generation! Wow. I mean, really, Wow! The energy level was amazing. I posted about it here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0.

Short term goals: Get Beth's character generated. Get the demons stated up. Get the backs of the sheets filled out.
Long term goal: Have the first session sometime this year.

-Lisa

Lisa Padol

Quote from: Lisa Padol on October 27, 2005, 09:07:09 PMYay! We actually had a meeting and started Character Generation! Wow. I mean, really, Wow! The energy level was amazing. I posted about it here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0.

Er, here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=17417.0

-Lisa

Ron Edwards

This is getting silly. Lisa, let go of this one. Stick with the other threads you've started.

Thread's closed.

Best,
Ron