News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Shadow of Yesterday Revised

Started by Judd, November 01, 2005, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Clinton,

You said in your Ogre Cave interview that the new edition was better.  What is different?  What is improved?

Why are you happier with this one?

Judd

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Paka on November 01, 2005, 02:07:52 PM
Clinton,

You said in your Ogre Cave interview that the new edition was better.  What is different?  What is improved?

Why are you happier with this one?

Judd

Many, many reasons:

1. Bringing Down the Pain is so much more clarified now. It's not a giant change - it's that I brought "how I really play it" in line with "what I wrote in the text." In the first edition, the text on this most crucial mechanic was less clear than I would have liked it.

2. I love, love, love the Fudge dice mechanic as opposed to the 2d6 mechanic that I had before. If you look closely, the actual game underneath hasn't changed. The dice rolled have, though, and bonus and penalty dice hit harder now.

3. I think I explained to potential GMs and players how to play a lot better.

4. The book is much better organized. Keith Senkowski's wife is actually responsible for this - a comment she made, sent through him, influenced me a lot.

5. I dig the new look. It's open and easier to read.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jonas Ferry

Clinton, I'm interested in your #2, since I'm thinking about using Fudge dice in a game of my own. Could you elaborate a bit on your love for the dice to help me find some merits and flaws in using them?

I'm interested both in your general Fudge opinions and in specific TSOY related stuff, like what makes it different from the old system.

If you've answered this somewhere else, and rather link there, that's cool too.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Judd

I liked the old cover better but the new one is on its way to me one way or the other.

Can't wait to open it up.