News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dogs' Sales to Date

Started by lumpley, November 01, 2005, 11:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

On my blog, I've just posted a chart showing the last 15 months' Dogs sales: here.

I welcome any discussion or questions, here or there.

-Vincent

Eric Provost

Congrats on the excellent sales Vincent!

-Eric

Brian Newman

I really don't know much about self-published small-press works.  Is this good?

lumpley

Quote from: Brian Newman on November 01, 2005, 12:01:28 PM
I really don't know much about self-published small-press works.  Is this good?

I have no idea!

I'm busy and happy anyway, and it's a steady inflow of cash, so it seems good to me.

I like that my sales are growing overall, not declining.

-Vincent

Brand_Robins

It looks good to me.

Its especially good that sales are growing over time. As Vincent releases more games (I WANT DRAGON KILLER!) this will probably see a mild increase, as the cumlative quality combines with a spread in interest focus (more settings and such to bring in folks with different tastes) to create a solid base to sell too.

- Brand Robins

Brand_Robins

Um, or due to crosspost... What Vincent said.
- Brand Robins

lumpley

Also, if we're comparing my game to a game in distribution, it means a lot to me that every single one of my sales is a game in a roleplayer's hands, not a game sitting on a game store shelf.

-Vincent

Neal

I'm wondering what's so special about September/October.  Those are your big sales months; any idea why?  I'm also wondering why the falloff going into Christmas and Summer, a downturn that would have scared the living hell out of me while I was a retail manager.  Is this something endemic to small press, is it a direct-sales thing, or is it just a quirk of DitV?

Anyway, congrats on the staying power and the sales.

Blankshield

Conventions drive game sales.  September/October is the high water mark after GenCon.  People don't (typically) give RPG's as Christmas presents; game sales don't follow the typical retail pattern.  The slow summer I expect is due to no major convention early in the year.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Brian Newman

Also, Dogs got noticed big-time on RPG.net after GenCon.

Brand_Robins

Quote from: Brian Newman on November 01, 2005, 03:51:32 PM
Also, Dogs got noticed big-time on RPG.net after GenCon.

With a big props to Paka for that. And to Ken Hite, who Out of the Boxed it. But mostly to Paka. Without Paka I may never have heard about DitV.
- Brand Robins

Judd

Quote from: Brand_Robins on November 01, 2005, 05:07:10 PMWith a big props to Paka for that. And to Ken Hite, who Out of the Boxed it. But mostly to Paka. Without Paka I may never have heard about DitV.

My pleasure.

At the 2004 Gen Con, Dogs was the first game I demoed and I walked around the con for the rest of the weekend in a daze, telling my buddies, "If this session we signed up for get's cancelled, I'll run Dogs."  The demo is that good.

"But Judd, you haven't read it yet."

"We'll read as we play.  I demoed it.  I think I've got it more or less."  I'm glad I didn't have a chance as I would have butchered it.

It wasn't until a few weeks after getting home that I got to take it to the table and it rocked.

And I love sharing the joy.

IMAGinES

Quote from: lumpley on November 01, 2005, 01:20:57 PM
Also, if we're comparing my game to a game in distribution, it means a lot to me that every single one of my sales is a game in a roleplayer's hands, not a game sitting on a game store shelf.

Thus generating more sales though word of mouth and / or experience of actual play, rather than looking pretty and gathering dust.
Always Plenty of Time!