News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just got it

Started by ghashsnaga, November 02, 2005, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghashsnaga

Well Burning Wheel arrived in the mail about a week and a half ago. I've been telling my gaming group about BW for nearly a month since I stumbled across it. I was running a Middle Earth 2nd age game but I was left with a bitter, empty feeling while running the game because I couldn't find a rule set that I like (one that supports the ideas I wanted) and that the players liked.

So after reading through a part of the rulebook and then creating a character I discovered that I love this system. Everything from the way it's written, to the feel the text gives you, and the rules for resources, circles, etc.

The books were easy to read and there are examples everywhere. I would read a section of text and thought "Damn I would like an example" turn the page and there it is!!!!!!

My ladyfriend (who is a hardcore gamer) loves the system as well. Especially the section on beliefs and instincts.

I'll post some more later as the game gets running. The first session we are going to concentrate on vs test, resources, and circles test. Luke suggested this in the book, so I am going to follow that format.

Thor Olavsrud

Hi ghashsnaga,

Welcome! Sounds like your set found a good home! I'm excited to hear about how your experience with it progresses. Also, make sure to swing by our Web site. We've got lots and lots of free goodies for you to download.

Luke

Hi ghash,

Just curious, how'd you find us?

And don't forget to start your game off with an all important character burning session. Get everyone together to talk about their characters and focus them on the conflict at hand. This smooths out a lot of bad wrinkles in standard fantasy adventure play.

and welcome!
-L

ghashsnaga

Quote from: abzu on November 03, 2005, 10:18:09 AM
Hi ghash,

Just curious, how'd you find us?

I found you through the Forge in the article section and several reviews posted on some rpg sites (rpg.net and some others).
I think I was searching for reviews of rps with a different style and then cross referenced to the Forge.

-Ara

Luke

awesome!

(we're mentioned in the articles section? who knew!)

well, you have certainly found yourself a different breed of fantasy rpg.

-L

Quim

Hello,

I'm a newby to BW, too.

I was looking for a good sistem to play in a kind-of-middle-earth setting made by me cutting&pasteing pieces of other settings (mostly from Gemini, Runequest and ME from ICE), and there it was...BW!!

I have almost read all the rule books. I really like character creation, artha system and experince, but I'm worried about the wound system, as in my group tend to play in an "heroic" way, and I'm afraid that damage could disappoint my fellow players. Is it as hard as it seems? On the other side I really appreciate the herbalism skill level of usefulness.

Greeting from Catalonia (Spain) and sorry for my bad english,

Quim
- Sorry for my bad english :/

http://www.maqui-ed.com/index.html

MetalBard

Quote from: Quim on November 04, 2005, 12:45:22 PM
Hello,

I'm a newby to BW, too.

I was looking for a good sistem to play in a kind-of-middle-earth setting made by me cutting&pasteing pieces of other settings (mostly from Gemini, Runequest and ME from ICE), and there it was...BW!!

I have almost read all the rule books. I really like character creation, artha system and experince, but I'm worried about the wound system, as in my group tend to play in an "heroic" way, and I'm afraid that damage could disappoint my fellow players. Is it as hard as it seems? On the other side I really appreciate the herbalism skill level of usefulness.

Greeting from Catalonia (Spain) and sorry for my bad english,

Quim

You might want to check out abzu's post on this thread
"If you've ever told someone how your day went, you can narrate." - Andrew Norris at the Forge on player narration

My name is also Andrew and I have a  blog

Quim

You might want to check out abzu's post on this thread

Thank you very much. That's been very useful.

Quim

MetalBard

Quote from: Quim on November 08, 2005, 04:02:13 AM

Thank you very much. That's been very useful.

Quim

No problem.  That particular discussion helped my group figure out how they wanted to bring the violence into our game.  Just like all of the other conflict systems in Burning Wheel, there are two focus settings and it's up to the players which one you use (depending on how important the conflict is to them).
"If you've ever told someone how your day went, you can narrate." - Andrew Norris at the Forge on player narration

My name is also Andrew and I have a  blog

Kaare Berg

Welcome Both of ya,

not to hijack this here thread but:
Quote from: Quimbut I'm worried about the wound system, as in my group tend to play in an "heroic" way, and I'm afraid that damage could disappoint my fellow players

Quickly put: Use the Optional Artha for Complication rule on page XX. of the Artha chapter.
It works.

K
-K

Quim

QuoteQuickly put: Use the Optional Artha for Complication rule on page XX. of the Artha chapter.

Yeah. Sure. That'll be a must in my games. Besides, I think it's awesome!

On the other hand, I have realized (sorry If I'm wrong) that this game is a paradise for powergamers, unless GM is of strong personality, specially for experince advancement. Don't you think?

Quim (sorry for my bad english)

Ice Cream Emperor

Quote from: Quim on November 09, 2005, 04:53:06 PMOn the other hand, I have realized (sorry If I'm wrong) that this game is a paradise for powergamers, unless GM is of strong personality, specially for experince advancement. Don't you think?

I've only read the 1st edition rules, but it seems like players can only advance in experience if the GM provides them with adequate challenges, so I'm not sure what you mean. If the GM refuses to set difficult enough tests, characters won't advance no matter how 'powergamer' their player is. If the player is 'powergaming' by constantly having his character face very difficult tests, then that's not a problem, since that's the whole idea -- and because there's risk involved, or there wouldn't be a difficult test in the first place.

Could you elaborate on some scenarios where you see a "powergamer" exploiting or abusing the experience advancement system?
~ Daniel

Luke

I respectfully disagree with both assessments. BW is no Powergamer's paradise, nor is it dependent on GM railroading.

While it's possible to munchkin up a character, the system is so transparent, that any serious twinks are going to be obvious right at the outset. And players who like to twink up their numbers in BW are rarely concerned with advancement -- their numbers are so high, they rarely advance.

On the other hand, players can set their own difficulty in the game and not dependent on GM tests. It's possibly to raise your obstacle in all sorts of ways -- fighting aggressively while in Defensive stance is a popular choice among my players. They certainly get the challenging tests for it, but is it cheating? Hell no! They're risking their character's life with such antics.

-L

Quim

QuoteOn the other hand, players can set their own difficulty in the game and not dependent on GM tests.

Well, that's more or less what I was refering. I mean, a player can deliverately increase his obstacle even if it is not necessary, can't he?. So, taking and example from a Terry Pratchet book, if an archer wants to hit a dragon, it can do it closing his eyes, on one leg and from the back of the shoulder, thus incresing his obstacle (probably failing) and trying a changelling test with a relatively low risc...is that cheating? No, but it really tweaks the rules, and introduces innecessary discussion between GM and players. Is there a way to control that?

I really like the advancement rules, this are just extreme examples I want to put on the table.

Quim (sorry for my bad english)

Thor Olavsrud

I don't see that as a problem. Actions are very valuable in Burning Wheel. Such a player has made a choice that advancing his skill is so important that he's willing to risk his character's life -- over and above the normal risk of combat -- by doing something foolish.

Once he gets his skill to exponent 5 or so, he'll have to take some insane risks to advance, and it gets worse and worse if he manages to go up in exponent from there.

Honestly, in play, Burning Wheel characters don't tend to advance much beyond exponent 5 or 6 in their skills. The difficulty in obtaining Difficult and Challenging tests just gets too high. Instead, Burning Wheel characters tend to naturally broaden and extend outward with new, interesting skills as they are played.