News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

November Ronnies! Start your engines for the 6th

Started by Ron Edwards, November 05, 2005, 12:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob MacDougall

I know Ron doesn't want to see "will I or won't I write a game" posts, but I'm posting this up here as a spur to myself so I'll feel really lame if I end up punting:

I too have a "mud Soviet" game idea that I'm 90% sure you'll see before the deadline. Deadline is midnight Wednesday, right? I teach today and Tuesday, so I might have to go right down to the wire.

(And I fit both of the observations about this round that Ron made earlier: 1. Wasn't planning to submit, but the two terms got stuck in my head and the game felt like it had to be written. 2. First time Ronnies entrant.)

See you on the other side,
Rob

Remko

Well, I've posted my game at the 1m1kt(or something like that)-site and I've used both Soviet and Mud, although it's definitely not a war game.
Remko van der Pluijm

Working on:
1. Soviet Soviet Politics, my November Ronnie
2. Sorcerer based on Mars Volta's concept album 'Deloused in the Comatorium'

TonyPace

Ron, is there any new guidance posting about contest entrants in Indie Design:

• Before the contest entry period is closed?
  • Before you've posted your comments?
  • About your own games?

I have a few questions about aspects of the mechanic for October's Shadows, but I feel it's not right somehow to post something about this game myself, at least until it's noted by others or all contestants are on an equal footing. And on the other hand, I've read all the current entrants and have some thoughts about several of them, but I was a little concerned about the dynamic last time where some of the entries got a lot more 'screen time' than others - perhaps based less on quality than name recognition.

I suppose it's much ado about nothing but I decided it was worth mentioning.

- Tony

Ron Edwards

Hi Tony,

You're free to post about your own or anyone else's design before the submission period is over, or rather, your only guide is your own conscience, not Forge or contest policy.

Also, if you think any game has received less discussion than its due, then the solution is obvious: post about the game. Better yet, playtest it and post about that.

Best,
Ron

Halzebier

Quote from: Remko on November 15, 2005, 04:15:57 AM
Well, I've posted my game at the 1m1kt(or something like that)-site and I've used both Soviet and Mud, although it's definitely not a war game.

Erm, could you provide a link, perhaps? (A casual search for 1m1kt led me nowhere.)

Regards,

Hal

Joe J Prince

1km1kt.net

Here's a link for the 1 Thousand Monkeys 1 Thousand Typewriters site.

Check out the 24hr rpg section

Cheers,
Joe

Tobias

If I understand correctly, I have a bit less than a day from right now, yes?

(12:00 PM okt 16 is noon, whatever time Ron is at?)
Tobias op den Brouw

- DitV misses dead gods in Augurann
- My GroupDesign .pdf.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Actually, a bit more than a day - 32 hours and 45 minutes, approximately. The cutoff time is midnight between December 16 and 17, my time (Central Standard, U.S.A.).

So far, fifteen games! You savages.

I'm impressed that all six combinations are well-represented by the entries, which wasn't the case a few days ago. I'm also interested to see whether we will have a bit of discussion about Left politics and history, as it relates to RPG content and design.

Best,
Ron

Victor Gijsbers

Tobias, Remko, me: three games from the Netherlands that I'm aware of. Not bad at all for such a small place.

Kirk Mitchell

I made a bit of a mistake with the time as written on the game (its the one called ∞). You will notice that it actually comes from the future. Unless my sleep-deprived brain has somehow discovered time-travel and a way to alter all of the calendars in the whole world, Tuesday is the 15th in Australia, not Wednesday. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused at any point.

Thanks,
Kirk
Teddy Bears Are Cool: My art and design place on the internet tubes.

Kin: A Game About Family

Ron Edwards

Congratulations, Kirk, you just fucked up the space-time continuum for everybody.

Fear not, I shall save it. Ronnies submissions are still accepted during the next four hours and 43 minutes.

At this point, 21 games and counting.

Best,
Ron

Sydney Freedberg

My offense was not against the space-time continuum but against courtesy -- I omitted at least two important credits from my Acknowledgments, which (with Ron's indulgence) I'll correct publicly and for the record here:

Besides copying Ron Edwards's Sorcerer dice currency and about half of Tony Lower-Basch's Capes, I also took the "I put a die forward, you put a die forward, who buckles first?" mechanic from Vincent Baker's Dogs in the Vineyard, and the division of players into "Girl," "Dragon," and "World," each with a specific role in the game (as opposed to "players" and "GM"), is a simplified and static version of the "Heart," "Mistaken," "Moons" division in Ben Lehman's Polaris.