News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge Midwest gathering, March 2006

Started by Matt Snyder, December 05, 2005, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

Nope, didn't even realize it. I should have thought to check for that. Thanks, Tim. Looks like that weekend is not good. A lot of people get together with their families that weekend -- we certainly do that here.

Let's make the default weekend April 7-9.

Factor that into your feedback.

(I've alerady heard a couple no-gos for April 22-24)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Luke

Christopher Weeks

Something to consider is that many, many conference hotels have Easter weekend available when the entire year is booked solid, and/or that weekend can be negotiated for substantial savings.  Don't count it out too early (it wouldn't stop me -- though money might).

Derek

If it's of interest, there's a con in South Bend, IN April 8-9. I say of interest as a potential conflict or potential use of someone else's organizing. Not sure the website is up to date. Feel free to contact me at edenesp@gmail.com with questions about my opinions or contact Matt or Monica from Flames Rising. I know they were there last year.

www.gameconsouthbend.com

Not trying to troll, just saw the default date and wanted to mention a potential, but not likely, conflict.

Matt-M-McElroy

Quote from: Derek on December 12, 2005, 03:12:12 AM
If it's of interest, there's a con in South Bend, IN April 8-9. I say of interest as a potential conflict or potential use of someone else's organizing. Not sure the website is up to date. Feel free to contact me at edenesp@gmail.com with questions about my opinions or contact Matt or Monica from Flames Rising. I know they were there last year.

www.gameconsouthbend.com

Not trying to troll, just saw the default date and wanted to mention a potential, but not likely, conflict.

GameCon South Bend was a lot of fun and was well organized. Plenty of gamers (and some great dealers) were there this past April. We ran quite a few demos and made some great sales.

It would be a shame to miss out on one vent over the other.

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
www.flamesrising.com
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
www.flamesrising.com

chris_moore

I just want to say that this event is a Dream Come True for me and my local gaming group.  If there's anything I can do to help this really happen, please say so. 

I'm excited to find out the finalized dates! 

chris moore
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Paul Czege

Hey Matt,

I'd like to see some designated selling/chitchat times. Even if it's just fifteen minutes each day. "Hey, Steve and I are heading back to Jersey, can you sell me a copy of My Life with Master?" isn't the best timing if I'm in the middle of running or playing a game.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Matt Snyder

I like that idea, Paul. I hoped such interaction would be going on at the meeting, of course, but I think it's a fine idea to schedule it. I'm thinking perhaps 20-30 minute breaks between scheduled sessions. Something like that anyway.

I'll get to work on such a schedule after this week when we nail down time and place. I'll be following Luke's suggestion, generally, and incorporate this idea as well. Of course, I'll open it for comment as I work on it, too.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Matt Snyder

Ok, gang, here's the latest:

First, the "new" default date of April 7-9 has held fast. Few objections exist for that date. Many objections remain for other proposed dates. THUS, APRIL 7-9 WILL BE THE DATE.

Second, I'm still working on the hotel, but I'm looking exclusively at Schaumburg, Illinois at this point.

Third, as of tonight (Thursday, Dec 15), I have a rough tally of about 30 people. About 20-21 of them will require lodging. That means we're looking at a minimum of 3-4 rooms, if we all shared rooms of 4. I suspect, however, that we'll have more rooms than that.

I strongly suspect others will want to participate, but have not yet contacted me. (Please do so! -- private message or email matt (at) chimear.info.)

I have the following people as planning to attend (obviously, this does not mean you are REQUIRED to attend):

Julie Stauffer
Ralph Mazza & guest
Brandon Parigo
Bill Cook
Tim Koppang
Keith Senkowski
Jason Blair
Luke Crane
Clinton Nixon
Jared Sorensen
Tim Klineart
Ron Edwards (he's been in Germany this week, but I assume he'll come, barring conflicts of course)
Ed Heil
Joe Porrett
Jae Walker
Paul Tevis
Chris Moore

I have the following people as MAYBE attending (some -- like Paul -- haven't said so outright, but I guessed they will try because they responded to this thread):

Paul Czege and Danielle
Mike Holmes
James Brown
Matt McElroy
Monica Valentinelli
Ben Lehman
Matt Wilson
Andy Kitowski
Ivan Ewert

I will try to finalize the hotel location tomorrow, and rates will follow shortly thereafter. I'm hoping we'll be able to negotiate some on the meeting room or group rates still.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Justin A Hamilton

I am definetely down to come, donate, and help out any way possible, as long as there is not some sort of maximum attendant capacity, or something of that sort.

Matt Snyder

I have more information about the Forge get-together in April.

Currently, I'm looking at the Radisson in Schaumburg, Illinois. Rates are $89 per night for typical hotel rooms (I'm hoping a slightly lower price around $81 might be available). The place offers no larger suites, unfortunatley, though I think there may be a honeymoon suite type room or two.

Also, they offer several meeting rooms that would be suitable for our estimated size. They have quoted me $325 for a 750 square-foot room (I'm looking at the Woodfield room). We would have it from early Saturday through Sunday at noon at that price. The room can hold 60 people seated at round tables. However, I presume there will be fewer of us with tables spaced more widely apart. I'm betting 60 people in the room is a close-quarters fit. I think this is a fair rate, and we can easily pay for it with $10-$20 chipping in for the room from everyone, perhaps less with sponsors (and I have been approached about that happening).

There are, however, several rules that I do not like.

First is ZERO outside food or drink. Not even snacks. They say it's a liability thing, I say it's a "buy our catering services and restaurant food" thing. Either way, bleah. Beverages or other refreshments are likely to be expensive.

Second, from what I can tell remotely, the hotel is not as nice as I would like, but I'm also trying to balance that with costs.

So, this is the latest information. It is not final, but you can at least see the amenties I'm looking for, and have an idea of the costs involved. If you can find an obviously better hotel for our needs and price range, I'm all ears. It takes time to track these down, and some volunteers with some Internet idle time (ahem!) could help me reduce that time! Chicagoans, even more so!

Selling games at the meet-up

I've talked with Ron, and he's really advocating that publishers offer their games for sale at the meeting. I think it's a good idea. However, I have not really included that in my planning and decisions. So, publishers, what do you need to make this happen? I haven't even started thinking about what might be necessary, and I'm seeking your input. For example, are we required to contact the hotel? Should we? Would there be any fees or legal restrictions? What would you require for display or storage? Would a second/larger room be necessary? What about including, say, artists or folks like Indie Press Revolution (doubt they can attend, just an example). Would such wheeling-dealing be appropriate? Etc. I'm just firing questions from the hip here, but let's get this nailed down quickly, if possible.

To non-publishers, I can't imagine objections to being able to purchase hard-copy games from the actual designers at the meeting, particularly since you're not obligated to buy anything at all. If you see a major problem with this, please contact me.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Nev the Deranged

Wow, I am SO glad the voices in my head told me to check the Forge today.

I live down the street from the Rad, so I won't need lodging (which is good since I couldn't afford it), but I will more than happily chip in for the conference room, if that's still needed.

This is so awesome! Maybe I'll finally get a chance to play all the games I've bought from fellow Forgizens over the last 2 years, heh.

timfire

Quote from: Matt Snyder on January 04, 2006, 03:41:13 AM
I've talked with Ron, and he's really advocating that publishers offer their games for sale at the meeting. I think it's a good idea. However, I have not really included that in my planning and decisions. So, publishers, what do you need to make this happen? ... What would you require for display or storage? Would a second/larger room be necessary? What about including, say, artists or folks like Indie Press Revolution (doubt they can attend, just an example). Would such wheeling-dealing be appropriate? Etc.

I don't think we need a second room. We won't be moving as much stock as GenCon, so storage space probably won't be a huge deal. Unless we're packed wall to wall, we can probably just throw a couple boxes in the corner. Worst comes to worst, stock can be kept in people's rooms.

A couple tables for displaying books might be nice, as well as some space for hanging up our posters or whatnot, like we did at GenCon.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Blankshield

Is this event now solid enough that I can book my flight?  I'm booking on plan miles, so need to book soon, or my options disappear.  Once I book, I'm stuck with the dates and times.  No refunds or changes on free flight.

Regarding space for sales, I would think a couple of tables should be enough - that's about what the actual selling space at Gencon takes up, and obviously we won't move as much stock, so will have less stock present.  We may need a little more space because it'll be more swap-meet like without the central cash point.  And it will make everyone's life easier if someone volunteers to hit a bank and get a bunch of ones and fives.  (That someone will not be me: I'll be buying whatever US cash I get before I come down, and they won't stock the small stuff.)

thanks,

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Matt Snyder

James, YES, this date is solid. The date absolutley will be April 7-9.

I'm reasonably certain we're sticking with the Radisson as well. I've found a couple alternatives with suites, but they are significantly more expensive and their meeting space is unviewable online (specifically I'm looking at AmeriSuites Schaumburg).

Some have indicated they'd like the hotel to be elsewhere, but no one has yet specified a hotel. Without such a specific recommendation, the Radisson will stand as the place. And, frankly, time is running out. I'll give it about the remainder of this week.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra