News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Best Of" Collections

Started by Nathan P., December 12, 2005, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sydney Freedberg

It does seem that the only anthology worth the effort would be a collection of short --but playtested and thoroughly developed! -- games that might be too small to sell on their own, e.g. those 30-pagers or the No Press Anthology games. Some of those may indeed come out of the Ronnies, but absolutely, absolutely, they have to be developed, playtested, and revised repeatedly before they're ready. I know my Ronnies game is unpublishable as-is, and I intend to develop it, but even at the end of that process, maybe it just won't be a 100-page game; maybe 25 pages will be exactly what's needed to do it justice, no more or less.

Nathan P.

The other viable option, which seems to have been lost in the shuffle here, is one designer deciding to anthologize his own work (the "Nathan Paoletta Essential Collection", f'rex). I could easily see three DitV/PtA/InSpectres-length games beng put together into a 300-page full-size hardcover (in terms of length only, not layout, etc). And now that Lulu does hardcovers...who knows?

Whether anyone actually wants to, well, I think this thread has pulled out a lot of the concerns about it. But there are a variety of options besides 1500 page tomes.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters