News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Brain lock

Started by Tommi Brander, December 22, 2005, 02:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommi Brander

Either I am missing something very obvious, or I can't send PMs. If it is a "post first"-thing, no need to tell. I think I'll notive it soon enough.

Another, and unrelated, matter:

I tend to design very minimalistic games (the mechanics, mostly), about once a week, around something. A simple mechanic or a way to roll dice, or a concept, or something. But they won't get published (because I am not trying). Some of them I play, some I do not. Where should I post them, if at all?

joepub

Hey, Tommi.
It seems customary to open by welcoming you to The Forge!

Post game mechanics to: Indie Game Design.

Unless you are posting back playtest results, or questions relating to an actual in-game experience, in which case it's Actual Play.

-But I haven't been here that long either, so don't take my word for anything. :P

Tommi Brander

Quote from: joepub on December 22, 2005, 05:02:40 AM
Hey, Tommi.
It seems customary to open by welcoming you to The Forge!
Wel, I have lurked around a bit. People seem to do it.
QuotePost game mechanics to: Indie Game Design.
I understood it was for games to be dveloped and published, in some form. Am I wrong?

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Tommi Brander on December 22, 2005, 05:46:41 AM
]I understood it was for games to be dveloped and published, in some form. Am I wrong?

"Published" can mean distributed for free as an electronic document. It doesn't mean it has to be in print, or make you money.
Download: Unistat

Nathan P.

I'm doing something very much like that as general brain exercise on a blog specifically for that purpose: The Game A Day Project. If you just want to have them out there in one place where people could see them, that's an option.

For PMs, if you click on someones handle and then scroll to the bottom of the info page, there should be a link that says "Send this person a private message."
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Folks, when people ask moderator/rules type questions, give me a chance to answer before you speculate.

Here's the rule: Indie Design is for games which you would at least consider publishing. Tommi, you're absolutely right about that.

The best place to post about the systems you're talking about would be in Actual Play. In the course of those threads, you may find yourself describing some of the ones you haven't played as well, as a basis for comparison or a point you'd like to make.

Best,
Ron