News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSoY] Live action

Started by Graham W, December 27, 2005, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham W

Over Christmas, I was reading The Shadow of Yesterday. And it occurred to me that it would work perfectly as a LARP.

Now, I'm suspicious of LARP conversions for tabletop games. They always lose so much of the original game. But I think you could convert TSoY to LARP with just one change:

Every time the rules say "Roll a Fudge die", toss a coin instead. Heads means success, tails means failure.

To roll more than one die, toss the coin several times.

Does this work? Do I lose anything of the original game by doing this? And are there any game rules which this doesn't work with? Or rules which might cause problems in a LARP?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

KingstonC

Using coins, your character could never get an ability check equal to their ability score.

You could use a deck of cards with the aces and jokers removed. 2-5 would be negitive, 6-9 would be zero, and 10-K would be positive. Draw three cards, plus bonus or penalty cards.

Graham W

Thanks!

Quote from: KingstonC on December 27, 2005, 03:18:24 PM
Using coins, your character could never get an ability check equal to their ability score.

That's true. Actually, this occurred to me, but not expressed in this way.

How much does this worry you? Personally, I don't think it would make too much difference to the game, but you guys have probably played it more than me.

Quote from: KingstonC on December 27, 2005, 03:18:24 PM
You could use a deck of cards with the aces and jokers removed. 2-5 would be negitive, 6-9 would be zero, and 10-K would be positive. Draw three cards, plus bonus or penalty cards.

That's good, actually. Or you could do something like remove the 2s: then even is positive, odd is negative and court cards (including Aces) are zero.

The nice thing about coins is that they're very portable. Cards are slightly more hassle to carry, but they're quicker: you can draw three cards at once rather than tossing a coin three times. (This screws up the probabilities slightly, but only slightly).

Is there anything else I'm missing? Anything that might cause problems?

Graham