News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Need rules for 1700's Naval Battles & Bi-Plane Battles

Started by verbosity, January 03, 2006, 01:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbosity

I am working on a new campaign world to try out my new Riddle of Steel book, which I found on this site. So far, here is where I am and what I need help with:

In the context of a steam-punk setting, I want to take the swashbuckling feel of pirate ship battles, add a similar element but with bi-plane like battles, and house it all in the context of the first Highlander movie. That is, the setting will also have some Bi-Plane battles, sometimes versus giant zepplins as well as pirate ship to pirate ship battles, because I have always been fascinated by both, mostly the latter. Also, having the three settings, land, sea, and air, will permit the game to feel very different on different nights, which I prefer, being big on variety.

Therefore I am soliciting suggestions for rules / rule books to use and engines for:

1. Ship battles
2. Air Battles

Thanks a lot,
David

Valamir

My recommendation would be to get your hands on Fletcher Pratt's Naval Warfare rules.  They were written in between WWI and WWII so the ships are basically dreadnaught and steamship era with rules for planes that don't assume the dominant role of Aircraft Carriers.

Its a very simple system.  You can build a ship sheet from any database of ships that contains certain basic stats (number and size of guns, thickness of armor, etc) which more or less translates to a block of Hitpoints which as hitpoints are lost the ship's capabilities are reduced.  The rules take into account penetrating and non penetrating shots (as effected by range) and a number of cool features without being overly crunchy.

The downside is the game takes a lot of space to play.  It was designed for huge fleet battles played out with dozens of players in a gymnasium or ballroom.  It scales very nicely to a living room or basement. But isn't really suitable for table top play.

komradebob

You might want to poke aroundthis 1800s site for ideas, also. I do recognize this is a bit later period, but it has very cool stuff.

Also check at www.freewargamesrules.co.uk
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

MatrixGamer

Quote from: verbosity on January 03, 2006, 01:16:30 PM
ITherefore I am soliciting suggestions for rules / rule books to use and engines for:

1. Ship battles
2. Air Battles

Here is a list of games that you might want to look at.

Sailing games...

"Wooden Ships and Iron Men" (Avalon Hill from the 70's) The basic mechanism is what has appeared again and again in Battle Tech, Star Fleet Battles, and other games.

"Don't give up the ship" (TSR by Dave Arneson no less)

"Warfare at Sea in the Age of Reason" (Emperor's Press) - sailing game. This one is new I played it at the Seven Years War Con in South Bend Indiana last spring.

The last two are miniatures games.

For more modern naval rules I like General Quarters (another game from the 70's)

Air Games...

"Dawn Patrol/Fight in the Skies" (TSR) They play it every year at Gen Con.

"Blue Max"

"Dauntless" a WWII fighter combat game.

"Foxbat and Phantom"

"Richtoven War"

You can find reviews of these on Board Gamer Geek.

Good luck!

Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net