News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

An unusual thread: An English major looks for connections.

Started by Kintara, January 06, 2006, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kintara

My class schedule for this upcoming semester is as follows:
Technical Writing
Non-Fiction Writing
Writing for Electronic Media
Studies in Composition, Rhetoric, and Language: Collaboration and Its Discontents (a class about "collaborative writing")

As I look at these classes, I can't help but find connections to roleplaying.  Perhaps I'll even design a game as one of my projects.

I'm creating this thread sort of as a diary to show if anything I discuss in these classes leads to anything interesting as far as game design.  At the very least, if I do design a game, these classes will help in the presentation of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Skepticism?  Disdain?
a.k.a. Adam, but I like my screen name.

iain

Quote from: Kintara on January 06, 2006, 03:06:21 PM
My class schedule for this upcoming semester is as follows:
Technical Writing
Non-Fiction Writing
Writing for Electronic Media
Could you clarify waht you mean by writing for electronic Media.
I can certainly see were connections might lie and wold be happy to help out with any enquiries into game design, though I am quite new to it myself. I would be especially interested if you looked at Roleplaying in Mainstream culture and maybe how to make the hobby more acceptable to society. It is after all a very social and enjoyable hobby but has some bad press attached to it.

I am at your service.
Cheers
Iain
<a href="http://www.contestedground.co.uk>'Mob Justice'</a> Line Developer
Check out my webstie for some free game downloads.

Kintara

Here's the course description for Writing for Electronic Media:
"This is a project-oriented course where Theory meets Praxis. Students will study and create original electronic media projects. You will complete both individual and team-based collaborative projects. Areas to be covered include creative and fact-based writing, multimedia composition and theory; hypertext; digital video, online journalism; multimedia scholarship; narrative theory; interactive narrative; information technology & creative practices; gaming; global media; and immersive environments. We will concentrate on the principles of writing for electronic media more so than learning new technology skills, though we will address a variety of technological options. The course requires creative and analytical engagement, and you will write what you care about."

Kintara

Anyway, as for how mainstream culture intersects with roleplaying, that's certainly an area that I might explore.  If I decide to discuss it in class, then I'll pretty much have to deal with that. :)

As I read that course description, it reminds me of the possibility for technology to seriously affect the means by which we game.  I'm pretty sure that using a computer to  supplement certain systems would allow for very intriguing possibilities.  And that's leaving things like immersive environments and such aside for the moment,