News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Pegboy

Started by dunlaing, January 11, 2006, 09:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunlaing

One of my players wants to take a lifepath that requires the trait "pegboy," He was concerned though, because he doesn't want to have a peg leg, and he thought that's what "pegboy" meant. He asked me "He can't really intend that every officer's mate on a ship has a wooden leg, can he? Is there something else 'pegboy' means?"

I found this:
Quote from: Savage LoveSome of my friends and I were trapped in an assembly in the high-school library a few years back and decided to entertain ourselves by searching for the most derogatory term in the American slang dictionary. Peg boy won hands down (or asses up). Peg boy was a position in Her Majesty's Navy: He was the boy available for the after-hours pleasure of the sailors on those long nights at sea. To keep loose for his hard nights' work, he would sit on a peg during the day.

I'm not sure if that definition makes him feel better or worse about "pegboy."

In any event, I thought I would come here and check to see if perhaps there's another definition of "pegboy" that was intended in the Character Burner, or if this is the intended definition.

Thor Olavsrud

I'm pretty certain it's the latter definition. Pegboy is a trait granted in the naval lifepaths afterall. If that ruins the character for him, point out the Quiescent trait to him.

Andrew Cooper

May I just take a moment to say...  That's just wrong on SOOOOOOO many levels.  ewwwwwwwww.

Supplanter

Quote from: Thor Olavsrud on January 11, 2006, 10:15:38 AM
I'm pretty certain it's the latter definition. Pegboy is a trait granted in the naval lifepaths afterall. If that ruins the character for him, point out the Quiescent trait to him.

Doesn't ruin it at all. I'm just relieved I don't have to have a wooden leg! <g>

I'll certainly look up Quiescent, though.

Best,

Jim
Unqualified Offerings - Looking Sideways at Your World
20' x 20' Room - Because Roleplaying Games Are Interesting

Clinton R. Nixon

That's the magic of Burning Wheel. Opening minds, and other places, to the love that dare not speak its name.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Andrew Cooper

Certainly gives a whole new meaning to "Burning Wheel".  jeez...  I'm going to stop now.

dunlaing

This is the first time in relation to this campaign that I've been relieved that we're playing Burning Wheel instead of Dogs in the Vineyard. (those were the two options for next game to play). I really don't want to start a campaign off with an initiation conflict of "I hope I learned to enjoy being the Pegboy."

Supplanter

Quote from: dunlaing on January 11, 2006, 12:06:14 PM
This is the first time in relation to this campaign that I've been relieved that we're playing Burning Wheel instead of Dogs in the Vineyard. (those were the two options for next game to play). I really don't want to start a campaign off with an initiation conflict of "I hope I learned to enjoy being the Pegboy."

"I Can't Seem to Hang on to the Soap" - 3d4

Off to reread Tales of Neveryon . . .

Best,

Pegboy

Iskander

Don't knock "rum, buggery and the lash" until you've tried it.
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

dunlaing

We played last night, and Pegboy worked out fine. It caused some funny moments anyway. I was explaining the positioning rules in Fight! and I told the group that Inside was the closest position you could be to someone, and Jim (pegboy) said that not in his experience it wasn't.

Supplanter

Yes! I built the character Luke Crane told me not to bother building, bwa ha ha! He's the son of the deposed King, who was spirited away and saved from death (at the cost of his anal cherry) and has resettled in the very parks of the Royal Castle as a humble woodcutter, hoping to live out his days in obscure peace in the place of his birth. (Fat fucking chance.) The paths finally fell into place when I discovered I could buy Born to be King with 5 trait points instead of passing through the Prince of the Blood lifepath. We ended up with:

Born Noble (Mark of Privilege)
*[Bad Things Happen at Home]*
Officer's Mate (Peg Boy)
Officer's Mate
Runner (Skinny)
Itinerant Performer (Odd)
Woodcutter

So I had Mark of Privilege, Pegboy, Skinny, Odd and Born to be King (purchased) with two points left over. That meant I could buy Quiescent, per Thor's tip, which let me suppress a lifepath trait.

So I suppressed Mark of Privilege.

We were able to tie Galeno (ne Rico) back to the ship Bill created for the scenario; I bought up Inconspicuous, Disguise and Acting and blew my 5 GPs on Reading, Axe and Royal Parks-wise. (I wish the latter could be higher but that's that.) I also sharpened my original traits from "There's no place like home" and "Children should be protected" to "I will live and die on the grounds of the Royal Palace of Cadiz, the best place on Earth" and "A man who will not protect a child is no man at all." I sure do miss the 50 resource points from taking "Prince of the Bood" second, but I'm much happier with Galeno being orphaned at Age 8 than Age 10.

Best,

Jim

Luke

dunlaing

Unfortunately, Jim didn't have enough trait points for both Quiescent and Bastard.

Supplanter

Quote from: dunlaing on January 13, 2006, 11:51:37 AM
Unfortunately, Jim didn't have enough trait points for both Quiescent and Bastard.

Some choices foreclose other choices. It's the Burning Wheel way!

Best,

Jim

Luke

Quote from: Supplanter on January 13, 2006, 12:22:41 PM
Some choices foreclose other choices. It's the Burning Wheel way!

He preaches gospel truth, and I do say, "Amen."

-L