News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Not sure what to do if...

Started by Vaxalon, January 18, 2006, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

So there's this girl in a town I'm working up that has a crippled hand.  It's crippled as a result of the actions of one of the other NPC's.

The Dogs in my game might be tempted to heal this crippled hand, after cleaning up the town.  I'd rather it wasn't... it seems more proper that these kinds of injustices linger.

So in the spirit of "Say yes or roll dice" I'd roll 4d6+DI and play out the conflict.

And get my ass handed to me, because after cleaning up the town there will be little if any demonic influence left.

So I might as well just say "Yes."

Which I don't want to do.

What are your thoughts on this situation?

I am coming to the conclusion that the answer is, "That's the way the game works, dude.  If the players want to screw with your sense (as GM) of poetry and propriety, suck it up."
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Andrew Morris

Quote from: Vaxalon on January 18, 2006, 02:38:33 PM
I am coming to the conclusion that the answer is, "That's the way the game works, dude. If the players want to screw with your sense (as GM) of poetry and propriety, suck it up."

Yeah, that was my first thought. But if you really want to be mean to your players, you could have the girl with the crippled hand resist -- "It will serve to remind me of the wickedness that lurks in the hearts of men." Then you put the players in the unpleasant situation of having to decide whether they really want to force this character to take fallout, just so they can heal her.
Download: Unistat

Levi Kornelsen

When I ran Flat Rock branch, I had the Thomas character cast as a hunchback with a facial deformity and a speech impediment.  They cleaned up town, and got on to the end - and one of the Dogs decided to heal him.

Thomas flinched away, stating that everyone in his family had inherited something from his prideful father's sins, and his problems were part of that.

So the conflict was with Thomas, in that case.  

The most pitiful moment, to the players, was when I called in the trait for Thomas "My burdens are heavy; I bear them willingly; 2d4".

...How does that strike you?  Useful?

Vaxalon

"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TheHappyAnarchist

Pôl Jackson

Conflict with the girl over healing her? Fantastic.

You could also just say, right out, "hey, I'm really digging the fact that this girl has a crippled hand". Just make it a part of the town, same as, "let's put a water trough here!"

- Pôl