News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] The mini-supplements

Started by Nero's Boot, January 18, 2006, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero's Boot

What can y'all tell me 'bout the Sorcerer mini-supplements?  As preparation for writing my own mini-supplement, I have decided to buy all six currently available e-sourcebooks.  I am particularly interested in Schism, as both my mini-supplement and it both detail psionics (though presumably Schism's treatment of the subject is much more in-depth than mine).  So, tell me 'bout each mini-supplement (especially Electric Ghosts, whose ad at the Sorcerer mainsite seems...vague in the extreme): The good, the bad, and all that lairs between.

--in particular, how well does Urge simulate lycanthropes? NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Nero's Boot

...anyone?

--I'll be getting all six this coming Tuesday NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Bret Gillan

I've read Schism and Charnel Gods, but I have no actual play experience with either (hopefully will remedy that eventually).

Schism is cool. Jared did a lot of neat things with psychic powers, and has established a cool setting and has lots of good advice for giving your game the feel that Schism is geared towards. One rule I particularly like is that when you hit Humanity 0, next session is your character's last game and you have the opportunity to push your character towards the death you want for him/her.

Charnel Gods has gotten raves from everyone, and reading it I can see why. It has a cool setup (Fell Weapons, the apocalypse and all that), and I really want to run it in a modern setting. I'm imagining lone sorcerers with Fell Weapons taking on armies a la Akira. It's packed full of good stuff.

Peter Nordstrand

Hi  Nero's Boot,

I wish you the best of luck playing Sorcerer as well as writing your mini-supplement. I really do. Sorcerer is one of my favourite games, and you seem like a fun and enthusiastic guy.

You will probably not like what I am about to tell you: It is time for you to shut up for a couple of days now and wait for people to answer. I am not being unfriendly. This is good advice. Eleven posts in one day is just too much. You need to give people time to reply, or they will ignore you. Also you need to give yourself time to think a bit about what you are writing. If you want other people to treat you seriously, take the time you need to ensure that what you write has substance way beyond "hey, nobody has replied to what I wrote in over an hour, and my game is coming upo next tuesday."

All the best,
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Eero Tuovinen

Peter has a point there, Boot. I don't know how much experience you have about writing, but I for one have learned to simply not engage in hypothetical writing. Better to get something done first and brag about it afterwards. (Unless, of course, you're already at the point where you can talk of your upcoming project with confidence and in full knowledge of what you're getting into, in which case it's certainly an available technique.)

That being said, I seem to remember that Urge by Clinton R. Nixon, as well as his Matrix supplement - the name of which I forget - are available for free nowadays. I don't know if you're already reading them, but if not, go to it. I find Urge especially fascinating myself. Should probably get all the other mini-supplements as well at some point.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Hisho

How well does URGE simulate lycanthropes?

Well, you could possible play a game with werwolfs using URGE but you are in for a real treat. It's about people who have, inside of them, a primal URGE and they have to fight it to hang on to their humanity.

It's like you're playing people with real lycanthropy (as defined in modern psychology), but this time with real powers. It's cool, and I like it really because it is better suited for the classic Werewolf-story as what hollywood or WW Werewolf does.

So, it's not about eco-terrorists, shapeshifting beasts and the fight against evil. No it's a game about men's fight against his own primitive predatory nature.

Well, haven't played it yet but I absolutely would love to play it as a player, as a GM I can't find someone who is willing to GM for me. Oh, and by the way, if you search for a sorcerer supplement that works great with only one player URGE is real good in doing this.

Michael
- - - Michael - - -

Jasper Polane

My game: Cosmic Combat
My art: Polanimation