News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forum Policy Question

Started by lumpley, April 10, 2002, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpley

This comes out of the Mystic Monks thread below, where Ron says not to talk about Star Wars the RPG made good this time, invoking policy.

My question: how come?  Why such a policy?

Did I miss a discussion about it somebody can point me to, or was it a fiat thing?  I'm not disgruntled, just curious.  

-Vincent

Valamir

The policy is in the sticky announcement at the top of the forum.

The reason is because talking about designing a game for a licensed property for which one does not have the license in a forum designed to encouraging indie publication is an inherently dangerous thing to do.

It follows in the footsteps of a fairly high profile multi million dollar law suit where web site owners are being targeted for copyright violations perpetrated by posters.

lumpley

Ron Edwards

Hey,

I also want to clarify that there nothing wrong with talking about the actual Star Wars RPG, for purposes of comparison with one's (say) SF-action game that one is designing. The big no-no is designing an actual Star Wars or other licensed-property game.

Best,
Ron

Nathan

Plus.. it gets annoying...

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but indie rpgs is to me a great place to discuss and hash out game design projects. Every gamer and their kid has an idea about how to "rewrite D&D" (or some other cool concept, tv show, movie, or whatever), but rarely is this more than posturing or whatever. "Someday, I'll release my own homebrew rules and take over the gaming world!"

I also, on a completely personal note, get somewhat tired of just seeing ideas. If I came onto indie rpgs and posted everytime I had an idea on an rpg, the forums would be full of CRAP. Instead, follow Jared (aka Memento-Mori) -- write it up. Even if it turns out crap, you have something a whole lot meatier to share with people and discuss.

But.. note: this is only a personal opinion, and just because I may not like reading game design ideas, doesn't mean that I won't participate in said discussion or bitch all the way to Ohio about it....

Thanks,
Nathan
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------

Clinton R. Nixon

I want to echo the two reasons the policy's in place:

a) It is dangerous. I sincerely doubt anyone's going to sue The Forge, but I never want to find out.

b) I've found the "game X done right" discussions are not only nonproductive, but they tend to suck normal discussion into them at an incredible rate.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Walt Freitag

I understand and agree with the policy against discussing new games based on licensed intellectual properties like Star Wars. But I want to point out that the policy statement currently mentions only games based on other games. I gather that discussing my idea for "Dude, Where's My Car: the RPG" would be just as bad, but the policy doesn't say that.

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere

J B Bell

"Dude, Where's My Car: the RPG" is bad on so many levels, it beggars the imagination.

And this board has so thoroughly corrupted me, I can feel my brain hunting around for possible Premises for such a game.

Shoot me now.

--JB
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Tim C Koppang

Quote from: wfreitagI gather that discussing my idea for "Dude, Where's My Car: the RPG" would be just as bad, but the policy doesn't say that.
WORST MOVIE EVER

Ahem... seriously though if you aren't selling the game is it really copyright infringement?  Honest question.

Walt Freitag

Tim,

The honest answer is yes. I'm not a lawyer, so this is only my ignorant opinion, but about a year ago I got so fed up with pointless ill-informed arguments about copyright law on bulletin boards that I downloaded Title 17 of the United States Code and read it.

The short answer: Infringement is infringement whether or not you make money. Whether or not the copyright owner loses money. Whether or not you even did it on purpose. If you didn't do it for profit, it's not criminal infringement, which means you can't be imprisoned by the government, you can only lose your shirt in civil court.

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere