News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Be my Exemplar!

Started by Matthew Glover, January 19, 2006, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Glover

Can I create a character and take your character as an Exemplar?  Against your will?  The rules say
Any character with Drives may choose or create one Exemplar for free.  pg 75

That "choose" bit is the thing responsible for this question coming up. 

Followup:  If I can make you be my Exemplar, do you get any say in what the free Conflict is?

My instinct is to say yes, I can pick your guy whether you like it or not and no, you don't get input on what that free Conflict is.  I do, however, have to consider that if this guy is your Spotlight and we're using the Spotlight house rule, you'll have a great deal of power in that relationship.

Vaxalon

Your instinct is correct, I think.

that being said, if he doesn't like it, he can toss the character in the junkheap, make another one with the same name and same powers, and your SOL with your free exemplar.

So it would be courteous to get his permission.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Eric Sedlacek

A major function of exemplars is to give other players a character to play which gets them easy story tokens from you and gets you easy story tokens from them.  If you have an exemplar character where the only player who will ever play the character is not interested in the relationship, you have a problem.

Vaxalon

Capes gives you all sorts of opportunities to run roughshod over the wishes of the other players, and absolutely no incentive to do so.

It's a very libertarian game.  There is almost no regulation; it's all about mutual incentivization.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Bret Gillan

Without the houserule that players can claim character as theirs, there is no such thing as "your character." I typically play all characters as being completely up-for-grabs, so this sort of thing has never been a problem.

Eric Sedlacek

Quote from: Bret Gillan on January 20, 2006, 11:00:33 AM
Without the houserule that players can claim character as theirs, there is no such thing as "your character." I typically play all characters as being completely up-for-grabs, so this sort of thing has never been a problem.

This is true, but in that case, this issue by definition cannot exist.