News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Warriors Brush] Attempt at making a game.

Started by Nimrod67, January 23, 2006, 08:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod67

Ok, it's been awhile since I last posted here. Nearly two years ago. Bear with me, even though I've posted before I consider myself New to all this Jargon. I'm Posting this thread for feed back on this idea that I plan on making into a full fledge RPG. Please ask some question that will get me thinking.

"For a True Warrior the brush , the soul. The Ink in which he writes, his flesh. The Marks on the page, his will. Destroy the brush and you destroy everything the Warrior is."
   In the distant past, a time long ago, long forgotten... a way of life was shattered by a new age. An age with no need for Nobility, no need for Honor and no need for Warriors. It is the dawning of an era, as the sun sets upon the old, Macana, terrible weapons of new destroy those who stand in their path.
   The last stand before death, The final breath of life and the fading of the old ways in a path of destruction.

Basically players would control the remains of an order of Warriors who are no longer welcome in their society.  The people embraced a new way of life, a more modern and technologically advanced then their own (think Lord of the Rings compared with an Anima show like Gundam). The people begin to become arrogant like the foreigners and soon rebel against their leaders and protectors. Perhaps I could even call the warriors Samurai and write some kind of "New Science Fiction History". But that can all come later and am still ironing it out as we speak.

So let me tell you what I have in my mind about the Mechanics of this game.
   Firstly I would like to say that the players have all the odds against them. Every corner they should expect to fail if they don't keep their wits about them. With that stated let me go into the Mechanics.
I wanted to avoid stats as much as possible, but am still thinking I may need some.  I've only just stumbled on the idea of using Poems (perhaps based on Haiku's and Senryu's).
I was thinking that too create a character one would pick various lines for "their poem". Still debating on if they should pick from pre-made lines or let them follow a set of guidelines. Anyways this poem would be short, perhaps 3 lines maybe two. That can be worked out later. The poem would tell the player what skills he has, determine the outcome of conflicts... pretty much take over the roll of dice or at the very least assist dice.
This just only came too me last night as I was about to sleep and haven't had much time to fully work on it. I just wanted to toss out the general idea for feedback.

Thanks, Nick.

Michael

Anyways this poem would be short, perhaps 3 lines maybe two. That can be worked out later. The poem would tell the player what skills he has, determine the outcome of conflicts... pretty much take over the roll of dice or at the very least assist dice.

This is very interesting. If you could make that work with a dice mechanic (or other randomizer like a deck of cards), that would be pretty cool.
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." -- Mark Twain